1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on a stalled situation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alda, Sep 1, 2014.

1. alda

Out Status:
    Some people
    I come from a big family. I covered up my sexual orientation for years, forcing myself to go on dates with girls and always coming up empty. But I finally met someone I like a lot last year when I was 25. I really want to just bring him home and enjoy our weekends together with my family.

My family met him already, I brought him over as a friend about 6 months in to try and sense what they would think. They met him two to three separate times. Everyone he meets loves him, he is the kindest, most sweetest guy I know. My mom even once saw us sleeping in a suggestive position, me with my arm over his side. She never said anything to me. Later that year, I came out to my mom first on an unexpected day. I had been meaning to do it but it just sort of happened. No one else was there. It was a horrible experience. I said I was in a relationship with that guy she met a couple of times. A relationship for 9 months. All those lovely videos, and notes, and stories you hear... yeah none of that happened. My mom didn't say anything and certainly nothing positive. What she did say was not comforting or accepting. This was Saturday. The next day I left to go back down to my apartment without much to address the situation. I couldn't even say anything myself, was just so shocked at what had happened over the past day. We talked on the phone on Monday night and it was again, horrible. Both of us in tears, she screams and yells at me for an hour. It hurt me a lot. I fumbled through the phone call, trying to explain things and completely hurt that she would do this to me. I told my sister what happened two days later and she was much more accepting. They eventually talked about it between themselves, and that weekend my mom and I hugged each other. Still, though we don't really talk about it.

That was 9 months ago. It pains me that she cannot talk about it with me. She asks how things are going. I deflect and say everything is fine. When it's not. Yet I still go home... hoping that it will get better. I am in counselling and it helps a lot. I realized how much anger I have towards both my parents. I don't want to hurt them with my words. My dad and I don't have much of a relationship to begin with which makes it hard to talk about anything intimate with him. I have told a large number of friends and that helps too. But family is where it matters for me. I'm upset because neither of them know how I feel. And that they do not seem to know what to ask. This has been precipitated by many years of this. We just stone-face ourselves instead of expressing much emotion. I'm not blaming them, but my dad still doesn't know. I'm kind of stalled at this point.

Within the past 9 months I only came out to one cousin and her husband and their son. When I told her, she gave me the reaction I wished my mom did. That was nice.

#1 alda, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. zipitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are you looking for advice wise?

If you want my two cents, I cut out people who don't accept it. Even my Dad is still put off by it, and my Mom only partially accepts it. You have to just not let it get to you.

Most parents come around eventually. Mine have made great strides. It takes time sometimes.