1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of my friends aren't homophobic!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kj802, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Kj802

The best thing happened at school today I was talking with some of my friends and one, who is a girl said this.

Oh that's gay, whoop didn't mean that I am not HOMOPHOBIC.

It made me so happy to see that one of my friends actually supports gays,(!) and I am thinking about coming out to her.
    But at the same time I don't want to come out because she is not my close friend , but she is still a good one.
    I feel like I want to come out and I am ready to but I just don't know, and if I did how would I tell her. :confused::help::icon_redf

2. daisy448

daisy448 Guest

Congrats, and don't worry yet, follow your instincts. There'll be a moment when the time is just right and then just say it. Well, obviously don't just say it, wait until you're not in the middle of a conversation about cats or something and say that you need to say something, make sure she knows you're gonna be serious for a moment.

So yeah, don't know if that'll actually help...

3. Vampire

That's really good! Having a supportive friend can mean a lot.

My advice, besides what Daisy wrote, is that you do it face-to-face. Even though that is a lot harder than, let's say, on the phone, it first of all allows you to see her reaction and it'll make her realize the amount of trust you're putting into her.

The fact that she is not your closest friend will probably change once you do come out to her, don't worry about that. If you consider her as a trustworthy person, you should go for it, just be careful when and how you do it.

Hope this was helpful!

Lots of love,
    Andy

4. Kj802

Thanks guys, the only thing that is bothering me is this.
    There is already a very flamboyant gay guy at our school, he came out by accident when he got into trouble for beating up his boyfriend. And most of the people at our school don't really like him. I just don't want my friend thinking I am like him in anyway because I am not. I am still myself. :slight_smile:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best way to show her is to come out to her, then she will know that all gay guys aren't like him, because she already knows YOU aren't like him, even though you are also gay.

6. Candace

Yayyy (!)! That's great to hear that you have a friend that will like you for you and can support you no matter what. :slight_smile: I'm thrilled to hear this :grin:.

7. mangotree

Don't worry about the fact that she's not your closest friend.
    What I can gather from other coming out posts is it's usually best to start with a person you don't have a long history with.

Regarding the out/flamboyant/short-tempered gay guy... it sounds like your friend is switched on enough to know that everyone's different.
    To think you're also flamboyant and short-tempered by vague association would be pretty small minded. The only thing you have in common is being gay.

How to tell her?
    It sounds like you already trust her enough not to spread it around.
    Maybe start by bringing up the comment that she made (the subject of this thread), and work from that.
    Or wait until just after she says or does another non-homophobic thing.

The suggestions from other members are also good :slight_smile:

8. Kj802

Yea true,

And thank you to everyone else, it really helps I am gonna try come out to her in the next few days. Wish me luck :slight_smile: