1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to come out..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pugsomg, Sep 2, 2014.

1. pugsomg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hello so i'm not really thinking of coming out as a lesbian right now because i'm only 14, i feel like i need a bit more time to like be 100% comfortable with it and stuff but does anyone have advice for when i do come out? i have no idea how my parents feel about lgbt people, my dad is also really christian, i dont know we never really talked about it tho i feel like my mum would be more accepting that my dad. i really have no idea how to come out. everytine i imagined coming out to them i thought it would just be me telling them that i have a girlfriend and then they would ask if i was gay and i would say yes but i feel like that would be a little too much to like wrap their mind around all of a sudden. like they find out i'm gay AND that i have a gf at the same time when they didnt even suspect that i was anything but straight like my whole life, i dont know, would that be too much? should i wait until i have a girlfriend to come out to them or just sit them down and simply come out to them regardless if i have a girlfriend or not?
    thanks to everyone who answers! (*hug*)

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suggest you look for a way to sneak in an LGBT topic when you're talking to your parents. Maybe they're talking about jobs, and you can mention how hard it is for some, like gay people, to get jobs.

If they respond negatively, I really, really encourage you to stay in the closet, unless you're willing to take the chance that they may actually change their views once they see their daughter is gay. Otherwise, if things go badly, you might have to suffer a few more years before you can get out.

You should also consider how you'll come out. By letter? By e-mail? By phone? Maybe face to face? Or perhaps indirectly, like mentioning how you want a girlfriend or nonchalantly correcting them when they ask you about a boyfriend?

Good luck. (*hug*)

3. Dakeli27

Yell it from the rooftops!
    Ok, serious time. I'm also 14, and I came out to my parents yesterday and ma'am coming out to the school tomorrow, so I can definitely relate.
    I knew I had to come out to my parents before school starts, and that deadline definitely motivated me when I might've preferred to wait. Yesterday I was in a car with my mom and kind of said "Mom, I'm not really comfortable talking about it yet, but I want you to know that I'm pansexual." I was a little less than impressed with her reaction ("You're too young to know"), but I think something like this is a pretty good way to come out. Then your mom can help you with your dad. I don't think you should wait until you get a girlfriend, although if you get one and haven't come out at that point, you should come out. First of all, I think that if you have the opportunity, confidence, and desire, you should come out then, and second, it might pressure you into getting a girlfriend. I hope these help.