1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to do with mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dakeli27, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Dakeli27

I came out to my mother yesterday, and while she's supportive of LGBTQ+, her reaction was mostly "you're too young to know" with a possible hint of "you're just horny". I want to talk to her about it and explain that I wouldn't have come out if I wasn't sure, and I need to know if she told my dad, as I need to tell him to prevent him from hearing it from someone else first, but I would rather avoid talking to him about it if possible. To top things off, I get the feeling she doesn't know I'm planning to come out to the school. Any advice?

2. zipitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a pretty common reaction from some parents... my Dad still thinks I might get over it and I'm 23 lol.

It could be a valid "you're too young" thought by your Mom, but it's usually just a denial thing. Coming out at school is your choice, and your choice alone. I don't think you need to go running down the hallway shouting your gay, but rather the safer way is to just start identifying as gay when people ask or assume you're into women, and maybe telling your closer friends.

It's next to impossible to come out to one parent and not have them tell the other. It also puts stress on your Mom that you're trying to keep it a secret, which is counterproductive to coming out anyways. If you told her, you best find a way to tell your father too. I came out to both of mine at once and it's a real relief to be done with it all at once.

3. Dakeli27

I'm not trying to keep it from my dad, I just don't want to bring it up with him if I don't have to, I.e. if my mom already told him.
    Thanks for your comment.