1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shinoda, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Shinoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi! I just joined this site in hopes of getting advice and possibly emotional support.

I am bisexual, but I have only told a few close friends. Everyone else thinks I am straight.

I would like to come out, so I can date both genders, and not have to keep someone so special a secret. But, my parents are Christian, and they frequently preach about how "terrible" it is to be LGBTQ. They say that gay people go to hell. That frightens me, because if they find out I am bisexual, they would either kick me out, or hate me constantly until I am eighteen, and can move out.

I have been told that it would be a good idea to wait until I am moved out to come out, so that I still have a place to stay, and I don't risk being on the streets. But, I find myself itching to come out, because I have never kept a secret from my parents before.

What should I do? Is anyone going through the same thing? :/ :help:

2. Vaettfang

I'm going through the same thing. I don't know how to come out to all my friends at once...

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, sort of. I came out and my mother actually just ignores it, and when I bring it up, she either gets sad, upset, or angry. It's possible that your parents will react the same way.

If they're openly hostile towards the LGBT+ community, I really think you should hang on. They may try to take you to "pray away the gay" - even if you're not gay. For now, maybe come out to less hostile people, like more friends, if possible? Soon enough, you'll be able to express yourself more easily. Just not with your parents. If you have a supportive sibling or family member, you can tell them, too.

4. Shinoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    They sometimes joke that if a gay person was to try to come over, they would not let him/her enter our house. They are hostile. They will be hostile towards me.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's understandable that you have such a strong desire to come out, but your safety and security ranks higher than anything else. If they have strong, hostile opinions towards LGBT people you would be taking a huge risk, unless you have a plan B - in other words, somewhere else to go and stay.

How long do you think it will be before you can live independently?

6. Shinoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am fifteen now, sixteen in April. I have three to four years until I leave for University. That seems like a really long time, but I suppose that if I am in danger, I must wait.

I just cannot wait to be free and have the ability to find myself.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand that. I feel the same way, but you know, the longer you wait, the more sweet the reward will taste.

8. Shinoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I just want to say thank you to everyone who has posted with support so far.

I have posted something on a Christian forum site about this, and you would not believe how hateful these "loving and supportive" people get when this topic pops up. I know religion is not the topic of EC, but I just wanted to add that hearing these people talk with such sharp tongues about me hurts. They say I should suppress my sexuality, and try to change it. But is that really possible? I tried that once, but I only caused myself guilt and anxiety.

So, thank you for being so supportive, especially now that people of my religion are hating me now. Gotta keep strong, though. :slight_smile:

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, you're right. Gotta keep strong.

I don't think it's possible. Denial hurts a lot, and while it's difficult to accept yourself, it's harder to live a lie.

Don't be afraid to be who you are. But for your wellbeing, I don't think you should mention it right now. It's not hiding. It's not suppressing. You're just not mentioning it.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you got that sort of reaction on the other forum. It's not always like that. Some members on this forum are LGBT Christians (myself included).

It sounds like you have encountered a lot of conservative/evangelical Christians who want to bash you with The Bible. Trust me, there are plenty of Christians who take the opposite point of view. If you haven't completely lost faith and want to read/hear some positve Christian resources and messages let me know. :slight_smile:

11. Shinoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would really like that! I want to know that there are some Christians that will not condemn me. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good start would be to visit the website of Matthew Vines - Matthew Vines and search for some talks he has given on You Tube.

Also, check out this website Homepage Content | Believe Out Loud

Finally, read this article, in which Nobel Prize winning Bishop, Desmond Tutu talks about his views on bad Christian attitudes towards LGBT people: BBC News - Archbishop Tutu 'would not worship a homophobic God'

This is just a start. If you want more, there is more. :icon_bigg

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi Shinoda welcome to EC. i am Christian, i am Bi and God loves me just as He loves you.(*hug*) one of the best resources that i found to reconcile my faith and my orientation was;
    A Letter to Louise

A Biblical Affirmation of Homosexuality

it is a letter by a life long Baptist Pastor who, after actually reading and re-studying the Bible wrote this letter to his friend who's brother told her that he hated God because God made him gay and he was going to hell because of it. it is a bit of a long read but sooo worth it. He really debunks the passages that we get smacked with to show how God hates us and shows that in reality there is nothing in the Bible about LGBT.

go to God Made Me Gay

hope that link is ok mods, i really think she could use the information there.