1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've decided not to have "the talk" with my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by elizabethallen, Sep 3, 2014.

1. elizabethallen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just can't do it to her. She would cry and it would just upset her. My mom is 83 and very old-fashioned. It is just better this way, it really is.

If life was fair, I'd tell her, she'd get over it and everything would be ok. I just don't see it happening

If I brought girlfriends around, mom would simply think they were friends of mine and EVEN if she suspected, she wouldn't want to be told.

Our family is great at dysfunction.

2. Really

That's too bad if you thought you'd like to tell her. Would you like to tell her? What if you phrased it as, "I just want you to know that I'm happy. Ok?"
    I think in the end isn't that basically what we want people to know? However the person who is me is made up, I am happy.
    Just a thought.

3. elizabethallen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's really interesting. I'm not sure I want to tell her, she would look down on me and I really care what my mother thinks of me.

My daughter is in the same situation. She is 21 and dating a girl and does not want my mother to know. She told me obviously. I think she knows what would happen and how my mother would react and just doesn't want to dredge up all of that.

Maybe we are just chicken.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Naw, you're not chicken. my parents are in their 70's and both old fashioned and salvationists. i have decided not to tell them, if i get a boyfriend that changes everything, but i think if that happens i'll just let things go as they will and if they find out then they do. But i don't think you or your daughter are chicken, just protecting your mom/grandmother and yourselves.

5. elizabethallen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am protecting her. She would cry and I don't want that. When you are 83, and she is 83, I was wrong when I said she was 82, you never know how much time they have left. I don't want to get all upset either, you're right. It's hard for me when I get all upset for me to come out of it. I get all down.

You're right, things will work out. Geez, how did you get so smart, looking for me? lol

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you think so? thanks.

everything comes out in the wash is an old saying around here.

7. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But telling your mother about it will set you free, I think. Try building up some courage and wait for the right moment to tell her? Who knows, she may accept you.