1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cope with living with someone you don't like?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

I really don't like my step brother much.
    Sometimes we get along but I don't like him more times than I enjoy his company.

And its been years since I've liked him a lot of the time;; we've known each other since... 1st grade and i started to dislike him in 5th grade I guess I started growing up and he didn't.

So anyway, I can get along with pretty much anybody except this kid and I just don't know how to cope with his presence (spelling?) anymore;; I'm starting to turn bitter and he just drains the life out of me;; him and my 3 yr. old brother especially drain me.

So how do I get over it? I tried ignoring him but that only works for a couple minutes;; and I try to stay in my room all the time since I have everything I need except food and a bathroom lol.

But I shouldn't have to be a hermit at my own house to be happy ya know?

We're the same age btw.

2. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

this sounds like a crappy situation what make u not like him.........???

3. lexie

i remember a few years back, me and my mom used to clash all the time, and neither of us would ever back down, so it was always tense, and i used to cope by just staying out of her way as much as possible. since if you cant move out, and have to live with someone, you have little choice but to try and just stay out of their way. not ideal by any means, but better than been in each others company when you cant stand the person.

4. Mind Freak

He's arrogant.
    Selfish.
    Ignorant.
    Childish.
    Annoying.
    Rude.
    And is always instigating stuff between me and my parents
    And he uses this baby voice when he's playing with my little brother that makes my skin crawl.
    And when he's arguing he uses another annoying voice undescribable by words
    And he insists on listening to stuff too loud even when he's asked to turn it down.

Those are just a few things... the list goes on. : |

5. JWAD

JWAD Guest

hmm... well id do as lexie says, it may not be ideal but if he's that unbearable then what choice do u have other than sinking to his level to annoy him which is not a good idea btw. if it helps at all just remember it could be worse, i was in a similar situation except my enemy was inside my own head, i couldnt even get out his way when i wanted.

6. Isabelina

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about my mother. She's the most negative, crazy (in a bad way) person I've ever met. To top it all off, she's becoming senile.

So yeah, I feel for you. Haven't found anything that works to fight off the bitterness and anger I feel whenever I'm around her yet.

7. HighintheClouds

Bitterness and anger are two crazy things. They just feed off each other and eventually end up destroying us. I'm struggling with bitterness and anger too, but I know it's wrong. Of course, this is where I end up turning to God (but then again, I know that this is not a desirable option for quite many people here...).

So I'd say that you should just maybe write a letter to him or something. Tell him about the problems you're feeling. Make it heartfelt. Put it in his bag or something. Or maybe on his desk. Ask him to reply you. I think that you both need to know how the other is feeling. Does he know that you feel that way about him? Do you know what he feels about you? I think the answers will shock the both of you when you both find out...

Just give it a try. See how it works out. =)

8. sexyalex

maybe u need to show him ur not like him.

or.. try to just(iknow this sounds hard) but get to know him and understand him

orrrrr, u can just ignore him much, like. It can;t be that hard.
    btw, how old is he?

sorry to hear about ur situation anyhow hun(*hug*)

9. Mind Freak

Oh he knows I don't like him.
    I tell him and show him all the time;; and I also say why I don't like him.

But ignoring him really is nearly impossible its easier to tune out a category 5 hurricane.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You need to stop focusing on the things you don't like about your step-brother and start thinking of ways you do like him. Surely he has at least one quality that you like. If you notice he's doing something or behaving in a way that meshes with you, then say something nice. You might find that your relationship improves.

11. Mind Freak

I have to think REALLY hard to find good things to say about him;; he'll do nice stuff sometimes but the majority of the time he's a jerk.

So my list of positive traits for him are diminished because he has so many things about him I don't like and I see few things I like about him very rarely.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Maybe if you notice those nice things more, you'll see less of the "being a jerK" things.