1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out in school without my parents knowing?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tommycee, Sep 4, 2014.

1. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been asked multiple times if I'm gay, and I really would like to come out. But here's the thing, I'm still new at my school so I don't know if there are homophobes there. I also don't want my parents to find out since they are homophobes. How do I come out at school without my parents finding out?

2. wolf of fire

My advice bring up some LGBT related stuff around people, if they react positively then tell them. To avoid your parents finding out just ask your friends before they meet them not to mention it.

3. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As wolf of fire said, if you see a positive vibe in people, then feel free to come out to people as long as you feel safe and encouraged. If you're in a situation where you feel your sexuality might cause a negative or hurtful consequence, then I'd hold off from being too open around those people. A good place to start is usually with close friends who you will know are supportive, or perhaps an LGBT society if there is one at your school.

To avoid parents knowing, make sure you make your situation clear to people. A lot of people will understand that you're not ready to be open with you parents and letting them know that will avoid them blurting it out in front of them which is never a good thing.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well (*hug*)

4. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update: I came out to 2 people today! They took it really well. Hopefully I can come out to more tomorrow.

ShyTaco likes this.
  5. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wanna come out to everyone just tell the most talkative person and it'll be all around the school in five minutes

6. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How old are you by the way? I'm happy for you because I was getting beaten up by the person I had been "sleeping" with at school and if I had come out back then I would have had to leave. I know things have certainly changed since then thank god. Are your parents really that homophobic? in a way it would be best if they heard it from you. Whatever your doing, don't rush it.

7. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everybody! BTW I'm 13

8. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I hope it is all going well for you. 13 is a difficult age for a lot of people and some people might be struggling to accept themselves at that age so becareful of any homophobia etc.

9. WannaBeMe

I glad that you came out to some people it's a good thing to do. And for some extra advice, try dropping subtle hints. I know most of my family is homophobic. I go to High-school every day and before I get there I put on rainbow colored loom bracelets, and after school I take them off on the walk back home. Find a way to express yourself. Plus it's easier to tell people when they ask and all you have to do is nod or say yes. Then explain afterwards that they can never tell your parents. I just know this because I go through similar things. I'm actually not much older than you. So you're not the only one.(*hug*)

10. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :thumbsup:

11. ajsivy

i have a similar problem some of my friends and my brother are always calling people gay and just being offensive and i want to say something but im afraid rumors will spread and i have not got the courage to tell my parents yet. Only 2 people know about me(one is a friend who is also bi and the other is my cousin) I would say that you should meet some friends and what wolf said just bring it up and see what people say. There is most likely homophones in the school but just ignore them your you and that's great. I am 14 first year of high school. See if your school has a lgbt club or something and if not your high school probably will(mine does). Hope this helps.

#11 ajsivy, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014