1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I find someone to talk about coming out and meeting other gay guys?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oscarneedslove, Sep 4, 2014.

1. oscarneedslove

I am gay and I accepted my sexuality when I was in high school. I grew up in a very homophobic country where the majority of the population is muslim. Me and my parents are NOT muslim but my parents are homophobic(more importantly not very familiar with homosexuality). I always hid my sexuality and it wasn't that hard as I am not a feminine guy.
    I came to the US about 7 years ago but I am still on a student visa. I might or might not be able to get a green card and guarantee my permanent residency. I always had the fear to have to go back to the country I grew up(and I hate that country) and feared of revealing that I am gay. People might say come out when in the US and hide it when/if you have to go back. but it is really hard to hide it in 2014 when everything becomes public in seconds thanks to iphones etc..
    I have never had any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with anyone in my life. I just turned 30 and I just completed my phd. US immigration laws are very strict and harsh and i don't know if i will be able to stay here. My whole life is full or misery and I don't know what to do.

2. Really

Are you there for a while longer? What do you get when you google "yourcurrentcity LGBT resource"? Might be a centre or some activities you could go to? Is there something on campus LGBT club-wise? Even if the students are younger, there might be some older advisors around.

3. oscarneedslove

I am not a student anymore. I work in a big company as a scientist. I am still on a student visa though. I have an employment authorization that allows me to stay on student visa for the next ~1-2 years. I found some places online but they look like therapy places etc... I don't need a therapy. I already accepted who I am but I don't know how to interact with other gays?

4. Really

Well. There would be other gays at the resource centre so... I don't think the only thing they do is therapy. I'm sure they have activities. If there is one, see if they have a calendar of events.
    Or LGBT running club or book club or yoga or ... I don't know whatever you're into that you don't have to be gay to do. People are people. Find something you like and do that. Join a gym. In a gay neighbourhood?

5. oscarneedslove

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. But let me tell you where I live. A gay neighborhood doesn't exist and the closest gay bar is 100 miles away. There is no gay supportive environment in or around here.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am making a calculated guess here, but I think that when a US citizen marries, his wife is allowed to stay here as an immigrant. IF you can find another man whom you want to marry and marry him in a state which allows gay marriage, I think the same law would apply to you. Not positive about this, but if any lawyers happen to be reading this, could you please clarify what the law is on marriage to a non-US citizen.

7. ethereal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just curious since I'm Muslim. What country are you from?

8. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that the US immigration laws are very harsh. I would suggest trying to take the citizenship test or learning about how you can. It's not too hard if you study and read up on history.

9. oscarneedslove

I wish it was that easy. Anyone who wants to naturalize as a US citizen(and in order to take the citizenship test)must live in the US for 5 years after gaining permanent resident status aka green card. I don't even have a green card. I have been living in the US more than 7 YEARS but they count those years because I was on a non-immigrant visa. Getting a green card is extremely hard. I have a PhD and I work as a scientist in a fortune500 company and it still depends on pure luck because the annual quote is so limited that they apply a lottery to select the employment based visa holders. :tears:

10. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might have to keep living re in hopes you will one day obtain citizenship. I'm really not familiar with the laws a details, and I really wish I could help :/ I suggest doing research online and possibly trying to contact an immigration lawyer.

11. oscarneedslove

Thanks VERY MUCH. I really appreciate it. I don't want to make this thread with the immigration discussions. I know every single detail about the immigration laws. I am even more experienced than some lawyers as I process and submit all of my visa and employment authorization documents myself. The law is very strict for people who follow the law like me. Anyways I brought the immigration to this thread because that is one of the biggest reason why i don't feel secure and postponed coming out for many years. But I feel like my life has been ruined. I didn't have problem when I admitted my sexual orientation to myself but I was always afraid of the risk of going back to the country I was born.

12. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you have told anyone there, how could the (authorities?) Know? What would happen if they did find out?

13. oscarneedslove

There is no law against gays. But the government or the laws don't protect gays too. For example you might get fired or kicked out of your apartment just because you are gay and no one or no law would protect you. It is pretty much like in rural deep south in 50s

14. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah OK. While that's not great, it is surely better then a place like Nigeria or Uganda where you could be killed as it is a criminal offense. You said you had no desire to go back and you hated it there did you not?

15. oscarneedslove

I hated so much and I would become suicidal if I have to go back.
    I spent almost all of my adult life out of that country and I have been in the US so long that I feel like I never lived there. But that's the only citizenship I have. I fell like American even though I have a foreign accent.

16. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry man :/ Your only option may be to just keep living here.

Moving away from immigration, I really can't offer any advice on how to meet other gays because I'm young and having trouble with it myself. Just know that EC is here for you as am I personally if you need to chat.

17. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered seeking political asylum? The Department of Justice will consider granting you asylum if you will be persecuted for being gay in your country of origin. If granted, you would then eventually get the opportunity to become a citizen. Here is a link to a group that helps LGBT asylum seekers. LGBT Asylum Support Task Force - What is Asylum?

#17 SimpleMan, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  18. oscarneedslove

Thanks for the advice. I already thought about it but denial rates are much higher then it used to be. My chances are higher if I try extraordinary scientist path but it will take too long. In anyway I didn't start this thread to bring my immigration status to EC FORUM but it is a very important detail about me(suggestions and advises are greatly appreciated though) I am trying to meet other gay guys and don't know where to start.
    Thanks again for your comment (*hug*)

19. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you drink Oscar?

20. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    have you considered just widening your social circles generally, by joining activity groups, and this will eventually bring you in contact with more people who will inevitably be gay?

If you want a more direct approach you must final a gay bar (does not work for everyone) or a dating website.

Or some organised gay holiday events, or gay hiking groups … I do not know where you are based but we have many options over here in the UK … it just means a slog on Google to track them down to find ones near you