1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to old friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Closeted17, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Closeted17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I graduated high school a few months ago and afterwards (for obvious reasons) came out of the closet to my internet friends and my family and to new people I meet if it gets brought up. I didn't come out to any existing friends in real life because I purposefully cut off communication with everyone I went to school with because they often make homophobic jokes, in what I assume is an "innocent" attempt at comedy.

Anyways, I just started university and have run into at least half a dozen of these kids at my new school, and we've gone and got lunch after classes already.

I want to be out to everyone in my life but I'm finding it really difficult to tell them. I'll probably to it one at a time and face-to-face, but for some reason even though I thought I was really confident in myself and my sexuality, I choke and get really nervous.

How can I like convince myself to tell them and what's the best way? Something somewhat funny? Like... they're mostly stereotypical straight guys who use the word "gay" as an insult but probably don't mean harm, especially since I live in a state with a large part of the population being democrats (likely their parents and via parental/cultural indoctrination, them as well).

I just don't know how to go about doing this at all and it makes me feel really nervous and sick still keeping this secret from anybody... Help:help:

2. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its hard to start a conversation which contains the words "i'm gay". I've been coming out to new and old friends for 11 years now and its not easy, its a continuing process. You could just say, "I would like to let you guys know the real me, I'm gay" and leave it at that. If they want to ask questions then just answer what you can honestly but if they are straight and not bothered they might say "uh really.. cool". Also you're not obliged to tell anyone, how many of your straight friends have said to you "erm, i'm straight" haha. They may even apologize for being homophobic, some of mine did. If they are nasty then they are not friends worth having anyway :slight_smile:

3. Cerith23

I had to do this with some of my old friends from secondary school. For me, I spoke a little about a friend of mine who is also bi, and was talking about how we went to a gay club together recently. I mentioned casually that 'it was a great night, and seeing as how I'm bi too I had a good time.' I attempted to say it as if it was something everyone knew in the hopes that they didn't want to seem ignorant and wouldn't question it.

It worked, but I think that it was also down to the fact that they're polite, accepting people. :slight_smile: