1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out drunk a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Formality, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Formality

I've wanted to come out and be myself for so so so long. I told my mum last november and ever since not much has happened. I feel like time is running away and I need to come out.. Like now!

Thing is my brothers are kinda stupid. They are slightly homophobic, for example they don't want to be around gay people and they don't think homosexuals should be allowed to adopt. This kinda scares me from coming out to them, cus I guess I'm afraid I'll "lose them".

Right now I'm drunk. I've tried for so long to try and be courageous, but I still haven't told them. While I'm drunk however I kinda lose all the cluthes and it would make it easier to tell them. Now what I'm wondering is: Would this be a bad decision? Has anyone come out as gay while being drunk? How did it make you/the one you came out to feel?

Any answer is appreciated! :slight_smile:

2. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you have to ask if something's a good or bad idea to do when drunk, it's a pretty good bet that it's a bad idea. Write yourself a note, now, while you're drunk reminding you of wanting to do this. Reconsider when you are sober. Then do it. Or not.

3. Formality

Well I know I want to do it, I just can't seem to find the courage to do it while sober. I've been living at home for 3 months and I still haven't told them. I just want it over with and the alcohol helps me be less afraid. I'm just scared it might be hard later on if I tell them now, when the buzz settles... Aww... Why am I such a coward? :icon_sad:

4. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have a drink or two, but don't be drunk, then. It sounds like you expect to get a ration of shit from the brothers. Wouldn't it be better to have your wits about you?
    (As a side note, I often give my self a haircut after drinking, and I always regret that!)

5. phony

Being drunk make us all more confident. I think it should be a good idea to drink maybe 1 glass before doing it. But of course they shouldn't notice otherwise won't take you too seriously.

6. Formality

Maybe I've had one to many glasses of wine.. I'm scared, though, I'm gonna end up regreting my life if I don't come out soon. I'm 19 and time is ticking. I could be with the love of my life 'right now',but instead I'm a sad pathetic loser drunk & alone in his room listening to Bob Marley.

7. LiquidSwords

If you want to tell them when you're sober, then it's not going to be a mistake to tell them when you're drunk, it's just easier.

Apart from my sisters all of my major coming outs have involved a lot of alcohol, they wouldn't have happened otherwise! ha

8. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, relax. Coming out to your brothers doesn't mean they'll give you a boyfriend on a silver platter. And you're only 19, you still have your whole life ahead of you. You should first focus on having your brothers accept that you're gay. Anyway, all I can say is try not to be (completely) drunk when you come out, it will just make things worse.

#8 RisingSun, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, one of my friends came out to me while he was drunk, he said he could only build up the courage to do it while he was drunk. Which I found kind of funny of him at he time, it worked out for him though. I mean I would have accepted him either way but it worked for him I suppose. Do whatever feels right, I just wouldn't make being drunk first your go to, that's probably going to lead to other problems.... ^^;;

10. Formality

I ended up fighting with my whole family yesterday. It's been brewing for a long time and yesterday the arguments got very heated. My brothers are fucking lunatics. I went out walking with mt brother and he got upset and angry because I told him his and my other brothers values and political view makes me not want to be friends with them. He got kinda angry and told me "family is most important" to which I responded something like "not if they are crazy". He stormed of and I ended up smashing my knuckles against atree until they bled.

Before all of that happened I got into an argument with my mom after she sided with them on a matter that could affect LGBT negatively. I got angry, slammed the door so that paintings fell down. Apparently she was surprised I got angry, and then she has the guts to come tell me I'm the ignorant one for defending minorities.

Right now I just want to get my driver's license so I can leave this shit house and never come back. I don't want to be around them any more.

I never told them about my sexuality but it should ve quite apparent to them that I support LGBT rights.

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You already told your mom, so it is only your brothers you have to tell. If you need a few drinks to remove your inhibitions, I don't think that is a bad idea, assuming that you are not so drunk that you will not be in control of what you are saying or your anger, and that you actually are ready to tell them. Once they know, it will probably make more sense to them why you feel the way you do about LGBT equality, and maybe they will back off a bit on their rhetoric on these kinds of topics. Either way, you should still feel the relief of not having to keep your secret any more, and your mother apparently isn't going to do anything different, because she already knows.

12. Clay

Nope, I came out after I drank to have enough courage when I was 19.

Was still shaking like a leaf though.

13. mancfester

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out to friends I was quite drunk but not so much that it was a problem, it sort of just 'came out'

When I told my dad I was very very drunk, fortunately he was too (after sharing a bottle of whisky at xmas lol) It went well and I also told my mum then too. It was fine, my only regret is that I was so wasted that If I'm honest I dont remember large bits of it, specially involving my mum. That is a regret.

My advice would be that if you feel you need alcohol to help you do it (and that's nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion) then try to do it at a time when everyone is drinking. I think coming steaming up to them while v drunk and saying it, it wont be taken in the the right way and you will regret it.

Good luck with your situation and remember...relax!

14. Pie

Pie Guest

It may backfire if the person you are talking to it drunk too. They could overreact or not take you seriously. So one drink is OK I suppose, but don't come out while wasted, to wasted people.

And good luck btw!

15. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's a bad idea, because they may not take you seriously, and you should have a clear head while you do it. However, I think the main thing you should be concerned about is getting out of there as soon as possible. It shouldn't even matter if they know or not at this point, because if they all know, then it will probably just make matters worse for you. Your call though. Good luck.

16. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want them to accept you, do not be angry. If you become angry you'll just make things a lot worse. In my opinion you feel pressure to come out because of their negative attitude, but perhaps you're not ready yet to come out based on your reaction. Trust me, when I came out to my family it was calm, and everything they said didn't affect me too much. Had I been angry, it would have just caused divide. Tell them you're gay in a relaxed manner.

17. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are yourself responsible for your actions and the outcomes, just telling my experiences...

there is something called nonviolent communication. Its like stating facts, ones own needs and ones own emotions. Not using hurtful language... which might trigger an emotional response...

This helped me staying out of exchangig reproaches, instead stating what I am and how I feel ...

It might take practice to do that...

18. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

I 'came out' to my flatmates when I was drunk a couple of years ago. They didn't care, but I honestly feel like I should have waited because I was not sure of my sexuality at the time (apart from knowing that I was attracted to girls) and what I know about my sexuality has changed since then.
    That said, it may well be easier for me to say "hey actually I'm gay not bi" if it ever came up in conversation because they already know I like girls and they're not bothered by it. I'm not sure though, but in your case I would not recommend it, in fact in most cases I wouldn't.

19. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i was always drunk when i came out to my friends or my mum
    the very next day can be awkward but after a few days the issue subsidizes
    and everyone is fine with it (depending on your friends and family ofc)
    so i'd call it a semi-good idea

20. xplodingpassion

do not do it drunk , you should definitely be sober when you do this