1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I even think about coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DistalLemon, Sep 5, 2014.

1. DistalLemon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My parents are both Christians, but I don't know about their opinions on sexual orientation.I am just worried about finding out too late and being "shunned" or even kicked out of the house by my Dad, who I am most worried about. I am sure about my sexual orientation, though, and would like to come out soon if it is a good idea.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mentioned that your parents are Christians, but you didn't mention their denomination (eg. Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist). Often, this is significant, as many Christians follow the teaching and preaching of their Church/Priest or Pastor. If they follow a conservative understanding of Christianity, coming out now could be problematic, if they are members of a more liberal Church you might be okay. It really does depend on their take on Christianity.

As a rule, I would not recommend coming out to parents while you live at home, unless you can be confident of their reaction. If your parents take the news badly it may compromise your safety and security.

3. DistalLemon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for your advice, but my parent's degree of conservatism is confusing. My Mom has a job in which she is accepting and also organizes events for groups that have been mistreated. My Dad, however, will speak his mind more freely, and has also said some things that aren't anti gay, but don't exactly scream acceptance.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. Well instead of coming out right now, could you maybe test the water a little? Every week another well known person seems to come out, so could you mention somebody who recently has come out in a conversation to see what they think... or something along those lines. It's a way of introducing the topic to see how they react, without coming out yourself. Many LGBT people have gone down this route first.

5. DistalLemon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, thank you so much. I will be sure to follow your advise. I am glad that I could get advise from a person instead of from a very general website. Thank you again.