1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Quite Sure...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JustNobody, Sep 7, 2014.

1. JustNobody

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Since I was 10, I've always had a secret attraction to guys. I grew up telling people that I was straight in order to prevent awkwardness, but recently I've accepted my reality and realized that I can't live pretending I'm strictly attracted to women when it's definitely not true. However, I don't want to ruin the trust of my parents (who are great people, but are convinced I'm straight) or my friends, especially now that I am a roommate with one of them (Like seriously, how do gay people even explain it to roommates :rolle:slight_smile: I basically don't want to lose everyone's trust, and I ESPECIALLY don't want to have them find out through me eventually dating someone.

Basically, I'm hoping for some advice. Should I stay in the closet and never get to express myself, or should I come out and potentially lose people's trust? Also, if I do come out, how should I do it?

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC! (*hug*)

There are some tips and tricks I want to tell you.

First of all, do you feel the need to come out? Do you have the feeling like you don't want to hide who you are?

Secondly, if you want to tell some, figure out whether they are supportive of LGBT issues or not. If they are (very) pro LGBT, you know they will likely not judge you.

Coming out can be done in various ways. You can simply tell them "I'm bi(sexual)", but you can also slowly approach the issue. It's entirely up to you how to do that.

Cheers,

Quem

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't lose people's trust by coming out to them, you gain it by being honest. You don't have to tell them "I've been lying to you". Just tell them that you have gradually come to the realization that you not only have an attraction to girls, but you now realize you have it to some boys too, and that you might in the future feel like dating a boy. You are only 18, so no one expects your sexuality to be set in cement at this age. The longer you wait to come out, the more it will seem like you knew but were not telling the truth about it.