1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out.. again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pigpassport, Sep 7, 2014.

1. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

Now for the most part I'm in the closet. The only people who really know are people I speak to online, and one of my friends, who's also my ex, and the reason that I finally properly worked out my sexuality.

A couple of years ago, not too long after we had all started uni, I told my then flatmates that I was bisexual. I was drunk, so in hindsight maybe it wasn't such a great idea but they weren't bothered and we all moved on with our lives. At the time, I guess I thought I was sure, but later on I realised that I wasn't at all. A few months down the line working it out being a bit confused I realised that I was gay rather than bi. And I've only really been totally sure of that for probably less than a year.

Anyway, I'm still friends with the flatmates from my first year, and I'm living with two of them now. It's never really come up, but I've been thinking recently about telling them that actually I was wrong, and that I'm gay. They knew that I was more attracted to girls anyway at the time that I told them I was bi. It's probably better for me that I did tell them that when I was drunk because I know I wouldn't have otherwise and it would probably make it easier if and when I do tell them that I'm gay.

I'm not particularly stressed out about telling them and I won't anyway unless it comes up in conversation or if I'm asked directly, but I'm just curious as to whether people think that there would even be any point in me telling them seeing as they already know that I'm attracted to girls anyway. I just figure that it wouldn't really matter either way, I mean if it comes up then I'll likely say but I don't think that it would make a difference, I'm just curious I guess.

2. cumberbatched

I think it does matter, maybe not to them but to you. You have made this discovery about yourself and you shouldn't have to hide it. Depending on how close you are with these friends it could make a difference in helping them understand you better. Because even though it doesn't seem like that big of a change, it will still impact you. Even in little conversations where your friends may try to set you up with a male friend or mistake you for liking someone because they don't know. I think overall it will just be a better way for you to connect with them, and you will feel better for having told them instead of keeping it inside. They sound pretty supportive already, so I hope everything can work out smoothly. :thumbsup:

3. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

I didn't really think about the whole setting me up thing, probably because I don't expect them to try haha. But thank you that was helpful, and I will say if and when the topic comes up :slight_smile: