1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfy1, Sep 8, 2014.

1. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    how do you know when you are truly ready to come out? some people say to come out when you have accepted yourself and your sexuality. im trying to fallow that general rule, so i don't rush into anything im not prepared for, like answering some questions without getting too emotional. how do you know when you have truly accepted your sexuality? i feel like im as accepting as i can be up to the point of telling people about it... and by that i do mean that im ok with being gay. whats are your guys thoughts on it? how do you know when your ready to come out?

2. AsheTheHuman

It's different for everyone, I think. There's no one perfect time to come out. It sounds like you're ready though. You might want to consider what your parents (if you live with them) will do before hand though. I don't want to see you getting kicked out! Good luck! <3 (*hug*)

3. irishluck

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I can answer this...I'm not 100% confident in my orientation and can't seem to find a label that fits, so that's how I know I'm not "ready" so-to-speak. But I have no problem telling anyone about my girlfriend and how much I love her. So as far as truly accepting sexuality - that's a tough one too. I'm definitely not there yet, and it can be so complicated! And there's so many ways to come out - in person, over the phone, text/facebook, so many different people to come out to and when, etc. I've been letting my process happen slowly and more organically, as opposed to announcing it to everyone. But I think that really depends on the individual and their circumstances, and for some people it's better to come out to more people all-at-once, or whatever.

I think it's great that you are thinking all this through and not wanting to rush into anything you're not prepared for. However....it's my opinion that people who are going to react well or react poorly will do so regardless of when you come out. I'd say to just trust your gut. Sounds like you may be ready or very close to ready. But at the same time, I'm sure there's not a hard and fast rule. Come out when you WANT to. You say you're okay with being gay, so that's one thing that will be helpful for you when you do come out.

On the other hand, if you're asking these questions, maybe that means you're not ready yet. Only you can say for sure. It has been easier for me to come out about my questioning orientation and acknowledge my attraction to women because I am currently in a lesbian relationship. People have reacted nicely and not-so-nicely...but honestly their reaction reflects on them, not on us.

I look forward to seeing other answers to your post! Whenever you decide to come out, I wish you the best.

4. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will know when you are ready. I know it sounds mushy and a bit ridiculous, but it is true. You will reach a certain point where you no longer care about what people think or how they will react and will be proud of who you are. Sometimes, even, it just hits you. That's what happened to me. It was like a wall, but a good wall.

5. Blossom85

I have been struggling for the last two years to come up with the right label for me and I have recently in the last week or so come to terms with being bisexual so I feel I am more then ready to come out more.. I just need to find the courage in myself to actually follow through. I would like to get my mum alone one day and discuss it in more detail with her, then she and I or even she could mention it to my dad and then I could come out in Facebook.. That is my rough plan.. Just not sure when to execute it.