1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions and answers

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PatrickUK, Sep 9, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a thread where those of us who have come out already can try to help those who are thinking of coming out...

When I came out, people asked me all manner of questions to try to understand how/why I 'came to be' gay. Some of the questions were fair and reasonable, others were rather stupid and frustrating, but I resolved to answer them all as calmly as possible, no matter how I felt about them. I thought it was important to do this, to demonstrate that I wasn't coming out on a whim and that I was absolutely certain about what I was telling them. I mentally prepared myself for some of the questions months in advance and it was good to be able to answer immediately in a calm(ish) sort of way.. although I was still caught out by one or two and had to think on my feet, which felt rather uncomfortable.

I'm sure every member of this forum who has already come out will have faced a barrage of questions, so this seems like a good place to share and care.

What were the questions and more importantly, how did you reply? If your reply wasn't good at the time, how would you reply now?

My hope is that this thread will be helpful to those who are planning to come out.

I'll kick off with this one..

Q: How long have you known for?
    My answer: I've known in my heart for a very long time, maybe ten years. I've agonised over it and tried to deny my true self for too long. It's hurt me a lot to go through all of that and I've arrived at a point where I just can't live like it anymore. I need to be honest with myself, but I also need to be honest with you. I can't carry on hiding, so I decided to take the risk and tell you today.

Who's next?