1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had An Effect On Someone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kk31, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kk31

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday I found out one of my friends was gay. Apparently he had been out of the closet to some people for a while. Thing is though I told him I was bi around the time he came out to people. I found out today that me coming out to him had a huge effect on him. But then he never came out to me, I heard it as gossip.

I just think that's a bit strange. How would me coming out to him have a huge effect on him? And why wouldn't he have told me out of all the people he could have told?

2. hehehey2006

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well he prob has a crush on you or something, that's why I did it to begin with so if I can relate to him I would say that, but then again I could be wrong

3. He could have had a crush on you, or just knowing someone else LGBT might have made him feel less alone and more normal, and given him the confidence to come out.

4. gutsrie

I'm like your friend into I too had a friend came out to me but I didn't have the guts to tell him myself about me until several more months later even though I've already told some other people. I'll be honest, to me, it's hard to bring up the topic to another gay friend and also, maybe a bit intimidating as well. Maybe your friend has that same problem.

5. Awkwardlyrandom

Yeah, it does get intimidating when someone says they're gay to you and you haven't came out yet. It just feels awkward (in my opinion) if he'd have said "Oh yeah, I'm gay too!" I did it before and it just got quiet and so maybe he just needed more confidence before telling it to you.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I can see why it would be affecting - maybe it helped him to accept himself or to realise his feelings are ok? I would just be happy, because you almost certainly helped him in some way :slight_smile: