1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think they know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idefygravity, Sep 10, 2014.

1. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A few months ago I came to terms with my sexuality. Honestly, I probably should have known sooner, and maybe I did know. I was in a stage of denial for a very, very long time. I do identify as a lesbian, though.

All of my friends know. I also don't keep it hidden at all. People don't know, always seeming surprised when they find out, just because I'm pretty feminine. However, my parents have absolutely no idea, or at least so I thought. My parents are divorced and I live with my mom. We're pretty close, though I don't even talk to my father anymore so I don't feel like he needs to know.

Lately, my mom has been acting different. I don't really know exactly how to explain it. Orange is the New Black is my favorite show and the other day my mom decided to watch it. She was very surprised and asked me that night if I was gay. I thought she was joking, because she usually would about that kind of thing. Then she said "I'd love you either way" and wouldn't drop the subject. A few times since then she's asked. I feel like she meant it. A few days before this I told her I liked guys well enough as friends, but that penises didn't appeal to me. I always knew I was different that way than most girls in my school. And then, today we were watching this video. And my mom mentioned her husband. All I said was "I like her better, though, because of this, this, and this." She just gave me a look and said. "I still like her husband."

I'm sorry for the long rant, and I don't know if I'm just being super paranoid or what. What do you think she knows? Should I come out? I'm just kinda stuck.

Thanks!

Rissa

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sort of sounds like she has a good idea... Hopefully you can feel comfortable talking to her about it soon? Anyways good luck.

3. sugarplum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If your mother said she would love you either way.. She is probaly going to be supportive of you.. . Maybe ( I don't know) if you tell her she "may" drop the subject.. But it is all up to you when you tell her.. And no you are not being paranoid, it just may seem weird how she is bringing up the subject.. ~Good Luck

4. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think she would mention it like that if she didn't know. Her having said that she would love you either way is splendid and should be very reassuring for you. If you feel ready, I would say that it is time for you to tell her.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She knows. Basically she's tugging furiously on the closet door. So it's probably time to open it :slight_smile:

6. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm just afraid that she might not know.. then I tell her and she's completely blindsided.
    I didn't mention my mom's kinda sick. She can't breathe a lot and has a couple diseases. I don't want to tell her and make her upset.

7. Fruit Topping

Oh, my god. I love orange is the new black. When my mom watched it she was completely disgusted with it. Since my other sister (straight) watches it she didn't think I was gay at the time. She started to catch on and was excited when I finally told her.