1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents are pressuring me to come out to me roommate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by themightysloth, Sep 10, 2014.

1. themightysloth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, so, I'm bisexual and I came out to my parents last weekend during a bit of an emotional meltdown. Now they're telling me that I need to tell my roommate that I'm bi because she has a baby and may not be comfortable with me in the house. I personally feel that I'm not ready to start coming out to more people and it's not really anybodies business anyway. My parents are telling me that I'm being immature and inconsiderate. This whole conversation has been really hurtful and confusing, and I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any thoughts? :icon_sad:
    It might also be relevant to know that my family is mormon and so is my roommate. I haven't been practicing for years now and my roommate is fine with my beliefs.

2. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You said it. Come out in your own time, on your own terms, and don't give in to anyone pressuring you to do it earlier than feels comfortable for you. Your parents appear to be saying what they are, out of prejudice and ignorance. By the way, I seriously doubt it says anywhere in the 'Book of Mormon' that someone is obligated to disclose their sexual preference to anyone. Maybe you could challenge them on this point. Not that this matters to you or I, but it might quieten them down.

Damien. :slight_smile:

3. 1000candles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If this roommate is truly a friend of yours, she won't care. If she isn't a friend, then your sexuality has nothing to do with her life. And if she reacts badly, you shouldn't have to live with her anyway.

Wait until it feels right.

Best.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is your decision, not your parents. Period.

5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And why the hell would she be uncomfortable with a bisexual living in the same space? It see like a lot of people think non-straights are animals or something like we just rape every person we see... It's none of her business. If she is uncomfortable with it, that's caused by telling her. Therefore leaving it as it is is better for everyone.