1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to a gay "friend"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfy1, Sep 11, 2014.

1. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    so im not out at all, and am still working on accepting my self. i find my self just wanting to sit down with some one who has been threw what im going threw... ya know what i mean. i feel that it would really help me out, mentally and emotionally.

there is a guy who was a good friend of another friend of mine about 6 years ago, witch made him and i become kind of good friends. we haven't talking in several years, but dident end on a bad note or anything. back about 3-4 years ago he came out as gay. for the past years we have become friends on fb who like each others posts, but still haven't really talked, as we don't really have anything in common.

i keep wanting to reach out to him by sending him a Facebook message (private) and see if he would want to meet up or something, so i can just talk to him about where i am with my sexuality and get some advice from what he had gone threw. i just keep feeling that would be weird. like he is a really good guy with a really good heart, and i think he would meet up with me.... but i just don't want to bother him with my problems...ya know? should i just do it... send him a fb message and see what he says? how would i even say something like that? "hey i know we haven't talked in a while but can you help me with my problems??"... that would be a weird message to get lol.:lol:

2. RainbowMan

One of the first people that I came out to was similar - I knew him through a community that we both belonged to (online) and we have a conference every year or so, so I'd met him a few times. I felt like I was burdening him with my issues, but instead he was just there for me, gave me someone to talk to. Told me that if I ever needed anything to call him. etc.

A really great experience, and I'd highly advise you do the same. If he's not a jerk, which it doesn't sound like he is, then he'll be really receptive to being there for you. I'd bet money on it :slight_smile:

Good luck, and of course we're always here on EC as well!

3. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    yeah, hes not a jerk at all. how do you suppose i ask him? i have been thinking about this for a few weeks but just don't know how to word it. like i said i will be contacting him threw a Facebook private message, and don't want to be weird about it lol.

i really love this site and every one here has helped a lot, but there is nothing better than a good old fashioned face to face talk :icon_bigg

thanks (*hug*)

4. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'd write the same kind of thing you wrote here, that you'd like to talk with someone who's been there. Something like, "Hey, I know we haven't talked for a while, but I'd like to meet up with you sometime to chat. I've been struggling with my sexuality lately. I'm not out yet, but I'd really like to sit down and talk to someone who's been through it. (or if you don't want to be explicit: I've been struggling with something that I know you've dealt with in the past, and I'd really like to talk to someone who's been there.)" I doubt he'd find it weird, under the circumstances. He'd probably even be flattered that you're asking him for advice.

5. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i have decided to message him about talking about it. i wrote up a quick message that is discreet but if you read it you kind of get the idea what it is i want to talk about.

i have not yet sent it, and i am shaking nervous. idk why. i think its because this is another moment where things just feel so "real"... like "omg im actually going to let someone in on this dark secret of mine" lol.

i really hope i can work up the courage to send it...