1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me: Need to come out to husband that I am not straight

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rhiannon13, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Rhiannon13

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    After 7 years of struggling, after praying it would go away, after trying to ignore it, stuff it all down to keep my normal, married, family life going--even though I have no real connection anymore with my husband--these feelings, this knowing in my heart that I am not straight, has completely taken me over.

I had posted earlier about this, after finding this wonderful place, Sinking in my own truth, about what had happened to me and what I'm thinking of doing--telling tomorrow in the office of the therapist we have just started going to. I'm so scared, physically afraid. I tried to get the courage to tell him this weekend, just him and me, but I couldn't. I don't feel safe emotionally with him, there have been so many years of emotional trouble in this family.

But I can't fight it anymore. The idea of having a penis inside of me one more time, makes me physically ill--those acts of sex with a man seem absolutely abnormal to me, that I shouldn't have to do those things anymore. My husband is not a bad man, not a perv and we have been a couple since I was 18. I'm 47 now. Penetration feels like assault. I'm just being very honest to you in this forum and to me. I crave to be connected to a woman in every way, to want to hold her, and sit and talk and have it mean something. and the idea of sex with a woman now seems normal to me, after years of not wanting to look directly at that truth. It's been a journey to get to this point, a journey of shame and denial, and I'm finding acceptance. But I didn't want any of this. No one would choose this.

This will mean divorce, splitting up the household, affecting our two teenage sons. Losing stability. I am the main breadwinner, we aren't rich but we aren't poor. I've said the financial stuff would ruin me, but I'm changing on that. It is only fucking money. I grew up very poor so I get that financial stability is a big deal for me.

I'm desperate to hear from women who have lived through this. I'm desperate to know it is going to be ok. This has consumed my life and I feel it can't go on any longer. I'm so afraid, so despondent.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Rhi!

I'm not a woman, but peraphs i can help you, or at least try to comfort you a bit.

First, the best thing to do is to be honest and try to get through this in the best possible way. Avoiding this or trying to hide yourself is going to be worst, because it will be harder for you to be happy.

Things get better, you may be sure of it. There are lots of happy stories of people in similiar situations, you can read many in this forum.

At first, things might get scary, but everything will get a lot better. You will be yourself, your husband will be "free" to seek his own hapiness, and your sons will not have to be in the mid of a fake relationship. (*hug*)

Don't feel it is your fault, or that you should keep trying to deny it. You simply discovered yourself, and there is nothing wrong in being honest and seeking real hapiness.

If you are too scared, take it slowly. You have taken a huge step coming out to yourself, and another big step when you came here seeking advice and came out to us. We are here if you need a place to talk about this, and we are rooting for you!

Hugs

3. Really

While I'm not going through the same scenario as you, I can already see that you've already got 2 big things going for you. One, you're not dependent on your husband for support and Two, you know for sure your sexual preference.

So, you can be sure you'll be fine financially and you don't need to worry about potentially regretting telling your husband. You know who you are.

Is the therapy couple's therapy? Would you have a chance to privately tell the therapist you need to come out to husband so they'll be prepared to help you when he joins you?

Don't worry. I get the very real sense you'll be fine. You're just on the cusp of your emotions and once you're over it, things will be better.

4. Rhiannon13

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just wanted to thank you both for your replies and words of support. This is a wonderful place for people to come. I wish I had found it a couple of years ago. I don't know if I truly have the courage to do what I know I need to do tonight. But I think it is going to happen because it absolutely has to.

5. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You can do it. I wish you all the good luck in the world, you're doing the right thing.
    It's going to be hard, it's going to be painful, but it's going to be *worth* that trouble. This is the new beginning of your life! I'll be thinking of you and your appointment tonight. We're all rooting for you!

xx

6. Really

Maybe it would help if you made a few notes of what you wanted to say. So you don't forget anything or get caught up. And if needed, the therapist could "lead" the conversation from your notes. Go through your posts here to remind yourself what you want to cover.

7. Rhiannon13

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are both so helpful and kind, I thank you. You've given me strength and insight. I will let you know, thank you again.

8. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck Rhi!!

9. Rhiannon13

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wanted to share that I did go through with saying those words to my husband in front of the therapist. I almost didn't, couldn't get them out. I was already crying in the car on the way there and felt lightheaded getting into the office--I'm glad I didn't throw up. I said the words in the order that I felt I needed to, starting by saying I had never been unfaithful to him but that I had been struggling with this for 7 years and I've lost the will to fight it, and that I had to be honest with him. I cried the whole time, the therapist then moderated the discussion (thank god for her--this incredible professional), and she was really wonderful, supporting both of us. My husband's reaction was complex, at times showing denial, and at times showing some understanding (I remember him referring to the robotic sex, and that now it made a little more sense). In terms of denial, he seemed to focus on all of my recent health and dental problems as something that has caused me to become very depressed, and that if I could get a better handle on that, I won't be so depressed....and I felt like if he continued the words he wanted to say I would have heard, "and you wouldn't be thinking that you're gay, cuz you're not--you can't be--you've been with me for 30 years."

Alot of the conversation was a blur--but my husband talked about maybe I need to explore this with someone--he meant another therapist to talk about it. When he said that, I turned to the therapist and I said, "I know I'm a mess and maybe didn't say everything right, but I did tell you a few minutes ago that I've worked with two therapists over the years on this, I've done that! She said, "Yes, you did."

The therapist ended the session saying, now we know, and nothing changes overnight. We agreed we could stay in the house together, and can be kind to one another while we take these next steps, especially for our children. Our sons are graduating high school and grammar school this year--we agree we need to be mindful of them, focus on applying to college and high schools, while we deal with this situation.

The night was difficult, but I had a relief in a small way. I won't have to face sex with him, there will be no expectation of that. Right before I went to bed, he came into our bedroom without a word and just hugged me (we haven't had any contact in over a month). He held onto me, but just gently and sincerely. All I could muster was, "I don't know what to say." He said, " You don't have to say anything. I just wanted to give you a hug."

There was more conversation in the morning before work, with him saying there is a fork in the road, and I'll have to decide the way. We can work on our marriage problems, but if what I want is to be with women, there is nothing he can do about that. He didn't say it in a nasty way. It was just very direct.

I am a mess of course, processing it all. I tried not to think of what things would be like after coming out to my husband. Things don't go poof magically with everything behind me and suddenly I'm out with some pretty girl just getting to know her, etc. I got up, went to work, have to go to back to school night, and continue on with life's tasks. But I have been honest to the one person I must be (after myself). That is good enough for now.

10. Really

You should be proud of yourself. You did a big thing and survived! Just think, you've maybe done the hardest part. Sounds like you've got a good therapist and she'll be able to help you navigate going forward.
    Take it easy on yourself. Just do your everyday stuff and give your emotions a break for a bit.
    (There'll be a pretty girl one day.)

11. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish you all the luck in the months to come. I am married with kids and have not found the courage yet to come out. I am only out to myself now and everyday it just gets that much harder.
    I hope when I do that my husband is as understanding as yours was on hearing about you. I hope he continues to be that way for you and your kids. I'm so afraid about it all but, it's so helpful to see I'm not alone.
    I have signed on with a therapist and am starting the work. thank you for sharing and I hope things continue to work out for you and yours

and congrats to you for having courage

#11 Frkldbklvr45, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  12. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well done, well done, well done!! That took so much courage, I admire you very much. And your husband's later affection is very touching. I'm so glad he seems to be reacting well, considering. He may fluctuate a bit in future but the initial reaction seems very promising.
    I also wish you luck for the months to come and please keep us updated, if you'd like to.
    xx

13. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done. I had tears in my eyes reading that. I wish you and your husband all the best to get through this.

14. Rhiannon13

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To everyone who has responded to me before and since--thank you so much for your kindness, your support. I can't come up with the right words to express my gratitude and love for you all. Your realistic guidance, pragmatic words, and encouragement about my long-term happiness have helped me so much in the short time I've been on EC. EC is a blessing. I've reflected on the words shared with me over the last several days in very dark moments, moments of self-doubt and despair. They comfort me. and I hope that my words can provide comfort to others as well in the days to come. xx

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2014 at 08:40 AM ----------

Dear Frkldbklvr45, thank you for sharing your story by responding to mine, it touched me greatly because I truly understand the journey you are on, I share it. There is something comforting about knowing you are not alone, after feeling that you are for so long. I believe beginning work with a therapist will give you much needed professional support--someone experienced who can guide you on this journey. I've gotten strength from this forum in just a few days--a connection with people that I have been lacking this entire time. May you find comfort and support all along the way. I am here for you and so are others.