1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concidering Coming Out to Christian Group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok while on my information it says I'm already out, it is sort of a half out half in sort of thing. Because while I won't lie about it anymore and I am myself at all times I technically never told a lot of people but my closest friends. I am not monitoring who knows and I swear no one to secrecy on the issue. But as far as almost everyone at my school is concerned I am still straight.

However I feel a very good opportunity will present itself tomorrow. Unfortunately it isn't going to be exactly the most supportive time to do it and will require a sort of finesse. Tomorrow I will be going to a christian gathering of sorts. (I am not categorizing all Christians I am one after all but this group has a reputation of more conservative values). I was invited by a friend of mine who is still in the dark about my sexuality. I can almost guarantee an opportunity will present itself there.

I realize how stupid this idea must seem. I mean after all it would mean coming out to a group of people who are almost guaranteed to react bad to it. But part of me feels like I have to do it. It isn't that I am afraid necessarily but rather I think the whole thing is asinine and damn near pointless.

I mean I could probably come out to my school in a far more safe and supportive setting, but I guess it is the fact that it is probably the worst place that I could do it that attracts me to it. Part of me feels like I have to conquer my fears and face the fire.

2. Blaz

Blaz Guest

This could go two ways, and it is partially up to you and partially up to the group which direction your choice to come out to them would go.

The first is the obvious, they may not agree with you and say you've made a bad "choice" and are damned to hell if you don't change. Of course, there will always be a few who are supportive, but in these groups, most aren't informed enough to be very supportive. This situation can result in you possibly losing "friends" but also gaining "friends"

The second is that your coming out and testimony(in a gay way, not Christian in this case) may cause some people to think and ask questions that aren't trying to be degrading, but rather interrogative. You may be a shining beacon in the sea of delusion and deception, even if it is just to one person.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you: Are you ready to answer questions? Can you deal with word spreading like butter(Couldn't think of a better metaphor, it's very late)? Can you withstand attacks from those who think you are an abomination?

I can only offer you advice and information, not make the choice for you.

3. Louise

Looking though your lastest threads it does seem that you are looking to make your life even harder than it already is. I do understand the perverse feelings that push us into doing things we know will make our lives more difficult but you need to really ask yourself if this is what you want.

Are there any specific reasons that you want to tell this group of random people about your sexuality, this is your life after all, your private life is there any need to go telling everyone something that really does only concern you, especially when you are pretty sure to have a negative reaction and at a time when you are asking yourself lots of questions and are not feeling fine about things anyway.

If you want support I will give you all the support I can whatever you decide to do, if you want advise, I would say wait until you are emotionally stronger and feeling happier in your life in general before jumping into the deep end with a block of concrete tied to your ankles.

Are you ready to face possible hostilities at school when words gets around? Just take things one step at a time, you don't have to rush into this. The only people that need or have a 'right' to know are your family and friends, anyone else and it is really none of their business.

This is not a question of keeping a secret or being ashamed or anything like that, just simply I belive what two people do in the quiet of their own rooms concerns no one but those two people... that is why we call it our PRIVATE life.

4. Noah

I've done it, and its not fun. One one hand you can set an example of how gay people live normal lives, on the other hand you should not do this until you are emotionally secure. It will test every brain fiber you have.

5. Jim1454

There isn't some kind of 'Tortuous Coming Out Contest' going on, is there?

Come out to the people that matter in your life, and leave the other people in blissful ignorance. Unless you want to make this about gay rights and get up on your soap box, I'd just leave it alone. Be considerate to the friend that has invited you to this. They may not appreciate you causing a scene. Remember that these are their friends - not yours.

6. Endlessnight500

hey, I came out to a Chirstian Youth group, and they were supportive.

7. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Well if your gonna do it, good luck!

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't advise that, unless you are sure you won't have to deal with them for very long, who knows, it might go very well, but if they are more conservative as you did mention, I would be wary of adding that amount of stress to your life. If you do it, good luck, but I hope you don't...

9. Chris

I'm going with blake's answer, it sound more logical.