1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being pressured?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hunter427, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Hunter427

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello peoples! Recently I've been being pressured by my best friend to come out to my family and I really want to, but at the same time I don't and I'm not sure how to go about it. My family is always making jokes about being gay, and it makes me feel really awkward because I'm always thinking "I could change this joke into something totally different right now." But then I can't say anything. It's also pressuring because I like this boy and he likes me so I don't want to hide it from my parents if I end up dating him. Even my step-dad says things like "You'll find the right girl one day." And I'm just sitting there like "Or boy". I'm not sure what to do. I really want to tell them, but I don't at the same time. What should I do? :help: :eusa_liar :confused: :icon_sad:

2. Blossom85

Only you will know when you are ready to come out and tell your family.. Please don't let anyone pressure you to come out before you are fully ready.. You need to be able to prepare yourself for whatever reaction they might have.. Based on the jokes they make, do you feel they will be accepting of you or not really? I know the unknown often is at times the scariest thing to deal with cause we don't know what the reaction is going to be.. But do at at your own time when you feel ready to deal with whatever reaction they might have.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either you are going to tell them when you are ready, or they are going to find out some day where you stand in some accidental way. It is only a question of when you feel that the time is right to let them know if you want to be the one who tells them on your own schedule. If you were ready right now, you would probably know it, so it sounds like you are close, but not quite there yet.

4. Hunter427

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The jokes they make seem to be what they are just jokes. However one time I heard my parents talking about people who are gay and there tone was, well not very nice. Also when I do come out I'm not sure how. Any advice on that?