1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is hard.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by smoothies, Sep 15, 2014.

1. smoothies

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I met a girl who turned my world upside down. She brings new color to my life, makes me laugh in ways I didn't know were possible and is always challenging me to expand my mind and become the best person I can be. We have been in a relationship for six months and hopefully many more to come. My family would be appalled. They would die if they knew, like they might stop paying for my college and take away my car and everything. I hate putting her through this and us not being able to enjoy the social aspects of being a couple. I wish our families were supportive. I get jealous when I see my older sister with her BF and my family talking about how cute they are together because I will never get that response from them with her. I can't take not being honest with everyone in my life including myself any longer. Telling my family would change my entire lifestyle and my whole future with them. Scared.

2. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear madam

I haven't read such a type of story in so long, that this has brought me to tears. No human should go through and experience such betrayal. I will keep you in my prayers madam. If there is anything you need, you need but ask.

3. 1000candles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm so sorry for your sticky situation.Love is love. I know this, and it seems that you do, too.

From all of the coming out stories that I've heard, families tend to react better than the person coming out could expect. But, if you truly believe your family will negatively react, wait until you are financially independent / stable. If you're depending on them for shelter, education, etc., I'd suggest waiting a bit.

Regardless, try coming out to your friends first in order to build up your confidence. There is a community around, weather it be where you're living or this online community, that supports you. Don't hesitate to reach out more if you need it.

Best.