1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Difference (I'm sure it's been covered before, but meh)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Enigmatic, Sep 18, 2008.

1. So at the moment I'm in a pretty weird age limit.
    I'm 18, as it says to the left =P, and I'm look for looooooooooove. :grin:
    To date I've only had 1 boyfriend, no girlfriend - girls are icky :lol: no offense ladies <3.
    But the above statement is irrelevant. I'm ready to find someone I can have feelings for, but age is putting me off.
    Right now I I can't really date anyone younger than myself and I doubt older guys would want me much the same.
    My ex turned 17 four days before I turned 18 so there was just nearly a one year gap between us and that was ok-ish.
    I don't think I, personally, could date a 16 year old. My younger brother is almost 16 so it would just be entirely weird for me.
    ANd like I said I can't see anyone older being interested in me, I highly doubt even a 19 year old would be interested.
    For starters my, past :eusa_danc, personal problems put a halt to my mental? progression so I don't really come off as an eighteen year old right now.
    I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this, I'm in a hurry I need sleep ><.

Another dilemma is that I'll be in year 11 next year so I'm screwed there, that's the year level my brother will be in as well so they'll be in his age group. I don't have any friends older than I am and no one is 18 yet so I'm reluctant to go out alone.

I suppose what I'm TRYING to say is for me personally 17 is too young and 19 is too old.
    Most, that I've met, 17 year old's are to immature for me and anyone above 19 is too adult for me.

I suppose what I attempted to ask is if anyone is having this problem?
    Sorry about that gibberish, it's 1:30 and I have class in the morning and I wanted to post before I forgot to lol.

I'm getting depressed being alone and I want to start looking for my guy.
    Stupid age, If I were a few years older this wouldn't really matter.

Don't forget this is a personal "problem", I'm not saying that it's wrong for others, it's just something that's confusing me personally right now.

So if anyone was able to decipher my gibberish I'd love to hear about any similar experiences they may have had.
    They don't have to be stories that end well, I just want to make sure I'm not entirely crazy.

Sorry again, too many things on my mind and not enough hours in the day.
    I'll try and reexplain what I meant in the morning if anyone wants, I just had to write it down before the thought went back on the pile.

2. Noah

Everyone has age problems at some point, but you'll find someone. Don't despair.

3. Jim1454

You're seeing this as a problem because of your circumstances and where you are in school. But really, I don't sense that you're as immature as you make yourself out to be. I bet an older guy would like to get to know you, and I'm sure there's someone out there that you'd like in return.

But finding that special someone in your life isn't something you can do just becuase you've decided it's time. So don't get too depressed if the love of your life doesn't appear.

Getting out to GLBT youth groups that aren't necessarily associated with your school might help - in that you'd be getting to know people that you don't go to school with (and don't go to school with your brother - which I agree would be a little creepy) and the ages might not matter quite as much.

Good luck! And keep it up! You're on the right track!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I agree with the points mentioned above. I think you are concentrating a bit too much on the 'age problem' as it were. It could very well be because of the situation in which you find yourself in. Know that there are lots of 17 year olds who are mature for their age. Don't box yourself in, in terms of the age range. It is possible that you will get to know someone who is two years older than you are and has similar qualities that you have and/or qualities that you are looking for in someone.

If you find yourself getting depressed because you are alone, try to do something about it. As Jim mentioned, try joining GLBT youth groups in your community. You will get to know some new people. Finding someone will take time, but if you keep working at it and get out there, you will find someone eventually.