1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

waiting until i can support myself before i come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mfield123, Sep 15, 2014.

1. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    will I be a loser if im not even out of the closet until like my mid twenties lol. im 19 now and even though my parents will accept me I want to be away from my neighborhood first cuz its a rough place where I will surely run into problems if everyone knows im gay. idk its just like all these other gay people are so brave and stuff about it but im just playing it super safe. if you met an in the closet 25 year old would you think he was lame haha. I just really cant come out fully and be myself until im away from here and it sucks. and yes I know most people are probably moved out before the age of 25 but I dropped out of highschool :bang: so yea I have to finish my education and start my career.

2. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Honestly after reading around here i dont even think its bad anymore lol

3. NatWheeled

Nope, not a loser....however that's quite awhile to wait. You may find love before then, and when that happens its hard to contain that love. You wanna shout it to the world.

4. prussianblue100

There are some middle-aged people around here who are still waiting to come out. I don't think you're lame at least. Just do what you feel is right.

5. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    your not a looser to come out at any age. your saying that your parents will accept you, but maybe not your neighborhood. i know me personally if i had to wate that long it would drive me nuts lol. what i would do is tell your parents, and maybe some close people, but don't be completely open about it to every one. that way you can be yourself, but not have to deal with people who are not accepting.

what ever it is you decide to do, good luck! i know its not easy.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no specific time to come out as gay, it is only what time is right for you. You already know you are, which means that the hardest step of coming out to yourself has already been accomplished. You aren't "lame" just because you think your situation is best handled by deferring your coming out to other people to a later date. You might only be "lame" if everything is in proper alignment and you still don't come out, losing some of the best years of your life to meet people in the process. You choose when, not some arbitrary calendar.

7. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

8. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I'm still in the closet if I only told a few close friends but not to my family. Not sure if I even want to come out to them; pretty scary. Though if they knew, I'd be more free to live the kind of life I want for myself. I may tell them in the future, who knows!