1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling someone you're trans... How do you say it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nekoko, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly haven't come out to very many people and each time I have I've kind of stumbled with trying to say it. Saying "I'm transgender" just sounds weird out loud and saying I'm actually a girl just gets confused looks. So for my future attempts... How do I say it? I'm just not sure. It feels weird and awkward though explaining it doesn't bother me, just that initiation of the conversation...

Any advise? Does anyone else out there have a similar issue when coming out as transgender?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...nformation-about-transgender-individuals.html

"..there is a part of the brain that is different sizes in males and females. Autopsies have shown that this structure is consistent in size with the desired gender of transsexual individuals regardless of whether or not they ever underwent HRT. This does not prove causation, but it is extremely good evidence for a biological cause."
    There are probably different stages to this.

So its literally a mans brain in a womens body and vice versa.
    This is a different view than many people regarding this as a whim.

Some people have preconceived ideas, which might be alleviated by telling that its simply people with cravings, dreams and wants like everybody else. Its their right to live as they want. This does not change them as persons, they are beings like everyone else.

According to a survey from 2011, there are more than half a million transgender people in the us.
    So its quite a few people.

You might also hint to some of your preferences...

The best thing imO is to use intuition...

3. June Cleaver

I just am me, though I don't cross dress anymore everyone addresses me as June because June is who I am. Few need a explanation because I present as June a housewife, mother, the best woman I can be. That is how. I live and I ignore the few who choose not to accept me. Be yourself and people will see you. Good luck! Feel free to ask me anything on my wall or private messages if you can. I have been through a lot over the years. June

4. celatracy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, first you must have absolute conviction that you are a woman in a man's body and not just getting turned on by the trans concept. That you actually feel, female in all aspects and have sought counseling.

5. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a fetish and it doesn't turn me on. I lived my life feeling trapped in a shell, stuck in the wrong body, wishing, praying, hoping there way out of this prison. Being trans isn't a fetish its a day to day struggle to look at yourself in the mirror and try to survive whats staring back at you. The feeling of going insane trying to fit in to a society that can't or just won't see the real you. So trust me, I know who I am, I've struggled long enough to say with conviction that I am trapped in the wrong body.

And I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be mean but I actually started crying when I read this. I know you didn't mean anything by it and were trying to be helpful. In some ways you were because this is the first time I've openly said exactly how I feel. So thank you for that.

I actually feel bad posting this because I don't want to hurt your feelings or make it seem like I'm angry at you. I'm not.. It just needed to be said...

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might consider something like this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/152289-expressing-without-telling.html#2

You might have a look at this, if you have not already:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony.../147192-transitioning-where-do-i-start.html#2

I'd say take your time and enjoy yourself along the way.. have some fun...
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want...

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this...
    I would listen to my intuition...

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)