1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out and no one took it well

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Guitar123, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitar123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey i would just like to share my story here because its really safe (so i have heared):

Four days ago i came out but i came out on facebook. I dont know why but this sudden burst of confidence just came over me and as i was typing i thought about all the ups and downs of this. I decided i was doing a good thing and pressed post. This is where it get nasty.

I had always liked this one guy and he didnt know about it. He was in all my lessons which was a bonus for me and i always thought of him. He was really popular and really nice and funny and sweet and i adored him. So as i was trying to sleep my phone was going crazy with facebook messages so i just turned my phone off. That was another mistake.

I went to school that day and was greeted by my friends (who would be considered as 'unpopular') and whom didnt have facebook. As we were talking the guy i liked came up to me an asked for a word. He came to me and said if im gay i like someone and i told him it was him and he kinda bit his lip and said he had a small crush on me too. I was like wow. He just out his arm on my shoulder and said i was brave for putting it on facebook and that i should stick with him for the rest of the day. If idve known what he meant i wouldve done as he told me. Now hes quite macho and gets into alot of fights but doesnt look like he does and the first minute i stepped away from him some of my bullys stepped up to me. Now in my school ICT is on the 3rd floor with spiral stairs. I walked up and they laughed an laughed and laughed then pushed me down the middle of the stairs. I cant remember much of the rest of that day but i now have a broken arm and two broken legs. I hate myself now and if i hadntve posted it none of this wouldve happened. What do I do once im better?

2. ajsivy

wow ok that's quite serious have you or you parents contacted the school authorities because at least im my school/school system that would mean expulsion in my school we have policies about harassment due to sexual orientation if not expelled i would consider changing schools about you being gay/bi/other you are you and don't let bullies doubt yourself their just afraid of you because your different and that's great don't make any harsh decisions like leavening school and don't hate yourself because of what ever other people think of you because every human is special and great in their own way. hope this helps

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2014 at 03:07 PM ----------

also what grade / age are you

#2 ajsivy, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. Guitar123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im 14 and it really helped that. By the way, yes my school has taken serious action and apparently my bullys are now stuck with finding a school because no one wants them

4. Emmanuella

I'm sorry that you were so horribly treated by a group of very ignorant children. What you did was brave and in the long run, I think you will be happy you came out, despite the hardships and bumps in the road.

I'm glad that the bullies were dealt with accordingly. I hope they are at home thinking about how what they did was wrong and why they are now in the situation they are in.

Also it's incredible that the popular guy you like likes you back. How adorable!! Good luck kiddo! I hope things only go uphill from here! :slight_smile:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You and your parents should not fail to take them and their families to court and sue them for damages and for "pain and suffering" injuries. Any decent lawyer should be able to take the case and win you whatever assets they have.

6. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi gm53

First of all welcome to EC.

I was shocked to hear how the bullies at your school treated you and hope the injuries you suffered are investigated by the police and that you make a full recovery. It’s also good to hear that your school has taken it very seriously, are they going to provide you with some sort of counselling to help get over this trauma because I’m sure you are going to need some. When I was 13 I witnessed a horrific fatal road accident but didn’t get counselling at the time and I still have problems with it 40 years later, so please talk to someone about counselling.

You don’t mention in your post if you were out to your parents before this happened, I imagine if not then it will have come out in their discussions with the school assuming the school know it’s a homophobic attack? In fact the police should be made aware that it was a homophobic attack. How have your parents reacted? If you were my son and you hadn’t come out before the attack then this attack would make me want to love you even more and would stand up and actively fight for LGBT rights.

I think the best thing the school can do once you’re better is start a Gay Straight Alliance if they don’t have one and they should enforce diversity lessons with immediate effect and if they don’t I think your parents could probably sue the school for failing to provide a duty of care. In fact they could perhaps sue the school anyway.

You asked what you should do once you’re better, well I can’t tell you that. If it was me I would come back fighting and lead a LGBT equality campaign in your school or even community assuming you don’t live under some repressive religious regime. You may be worried about other students finding out you’re gay/bi/questioning but the reality is because of the seriousness of the situation they will probably already know.

Hope I’ve given you some thoughts and you make a speedy recovery.

SGG

P.S. Coming out is a very brave thing to do, especially on Facebook, it shows great strength of character any you’re more of a man than the bullies will ever be, what you did takes great courage.

#6 SaleGayGuy, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  7. Candace

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. Welcome to EC, by the way, and I'm glad that you have some solace in this site and that we're able to help out in some way :slight_smile:. I'm happy to hear that the bullies were punished for their actions, nevertheless. Have you talked to a guidance counselor? Maybe they can suggest ways and offer ways in order for you to have the safest and best learning experience possible. Just my two cents.

8. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What kind of sick fuckers push a 14 yr old down staires! Id like to give them a "talking to"

9. ajsivy

i have to agree (maybe not the language but yeah) if i saw that happen in my school me and my friends would definitely do something yeah im really sorry that happened man don't really know much else to say but good luck....

10. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry that happened! That's absolutely horrifying... I would encourage you and your parents to seek legal action against the bullies. If you or they were only a few years older, that would be an assault and they could face jail time. Kids are not stupid. The know what they are doing, and they need to learn how the real world works. In the real world, you don't just get a minor inconvenience for assaulting someone. But if nothing else, you gained a possible boyfriend so that's something right? Good luck on your relationship :slight_smile: Hope you start feeling better soon. *Hugs

11. JessicaWolfess

I'm so so sorry :c I'm glad those bullies won't get into a new school, it's the least they deserve. But please don't hate yourself because of them, I assume your parents know and support you and it seems like you have plenty of friends that also support you. People like thoes bullies are just assholes and will get what's coming to them

12. Guitar123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I cannot express how amazing your comments have been. Just so you know, the guy came to me in the hospital (the guy i liked) with a few presents and a get well soon card and when he went he kissed me on the forehead. Im really trying hard to type this with only one arm so yeah bear with me xD also i took all of you guys advices and im gonna start a gay straight alliance in our school but the guy i like wants me to tell no one bout me and him so yeah :slight_smile: oh an the bullys are in the police station as we speak and they might be sent to a juvinile detention centre :slight_smile: once again guys, thanks so much. If you keep posting here i will post my full recovery thanks:thumbsup:

13. ajsivy

No prob man were here to help glad to see the bullies are getting taken care of I wish my crush would be like that but he's 100% straight and were in 2 complete difftent social groups anyway get better soon :slight_smile:

14. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad your doing better man this shit really botherd me. Feel free to msg me any time if you need someone to talk to! Im sure the same goes for like every member on this site. Everyone is really supportive

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very sorry for your violent attack, but it's good that justice appears to be moving swiftly for those vile people.

It's really great your crush cares about you so much. He sounds like a real sweetheart who knows a hero when he sees one.

16. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Roger that! Get well soon friend :slight_smile:

17. Guitar123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im really glad there are so many people here who are supporting me. Im quite bored so if anyone wants to message me then that would be great :slight_smile:

18. Pie

Pie Guest

I hope you get better soon! And congratulation for coming out on facebook :slight_smile: ! It takes guts.

19. Bubble Bun

Bubble Bun Guest

Welcome to EC! And I hope you get well soon. :;(∩´﹏`∩);:

Besides those bullies don't deserve no sympathy at the moment, not after injuring you. But I do hope your parents/guardians take action, that is intolerable.

Once more I hope you get well soon!

20. WannaBeMe

I really do hope you get well. Those jerks had no right to do that. But whats done is done and cannot be undone. Just don't let it affect you. As for the whole GSA thing its a very good idea but be prepared for some interference from the school board they aren't always the nicest. I know that the GSA at my school went through All Hell and Creation just to be founded. But i wish you the best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.