1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kittygirl, Sep 17, 2014.

1. kittygirl

I don't know what i should do. I'm gay and no one knows. I hear people talk down about gays at school and that scares me. I'm really unsure if i should tell people or just forget about my feelings and stay quiet. :/

#1 kittygirl, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. ajsivy

never forget about your feeling don't be afraid to show them who you are because im sure your an awesome person and also welcome to ec

3. NatWheeled

First n foremost there is no rush to come out of the closet. No need to put on your rainbow dress n come out singing n dancing.

Second, you can try to forget you're sexuality but it doesn't make it go away, many many tried.

If you're in an environment that's hostile to homosexuality, particularly at home, it may be wise to wait til you are independent n out on your own. Do you have any friends who are supportive of LBGT? It helps to have an ally, that one person be it a friend or a relative who will be on your side.

These are just generalities, perhaps with a better picture we can be more helpful. There's nothing wrong with the way you are, regardless what others say

4. kittygirl

I do have a friend, but he lives to far away to talk to in person. I'm also uncertain where my parents stand with LGBT.

5. NatWheeled

Well maybe start by telling him, via Facebook messenger or whatever you two use to stay in touch. Even if he can't be an ally in person, just having somebody you're close to to confide in will be a great help.

6. NobodyKnowsHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Forgetting your feelings is a bad idea.
    Instead, I think you should stay quiet for a while (without forgetting your feelings) and wait until you're more comfortable with talking to people about it. If you are ready to talk to someone about it, telling your friend is a good idea. Like NatWheeled said, even if you can't speak to your friend in person, they can still be there for you.

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

There is nothing wrong with being a Lesbian! Don't ever feel bad about feeling something that comes naturally to you. Honestly.. It is a safer option to stay quiet about it at least until you're nearly out of highschool. I know exactly how vile and rumour filled highschool was when I was there so if you are hearing homophobic remarks from people who bully others then yes the safe option is to stay in the closet. I know it's hard but if you want to keep bullies off your back then this might be the only way to do it. If you are the type of girl who can take a bit of bullying then come out! but never do something you are not ready or comfortable enough to do.

It does get easier when you get out of highschool but believe me you will still come across homophobes.. but if they are childish about homosexuality when they are older then that just makes them delusional and pityful.

Be the bigger person.. Don't let their comments get to you! x

Welcome to EC by the way!

#7 ChloeKiss, Sep 17, 2014
  8. kittygirl

Would it be wise of me to tell my parents? I don't know their opinions about LGBT... So far now only one person knows... besides you guys that is... :/ Also, i'm bullied enough as a Freshman, I don't want to deal with anymore harassment, so it might be best to wait... :/

#8 kittygirl, Sep 17, 2014
  9. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

First ask your parents about their views of LGBT. Even if they have a positive reaction still be cautious because though some parents are accepting of lgbt they deep down do not want their own child to be gay. Now that isn't ALL parents.. but I know they are out there.

Good luck!

#9 ChloeKiss, Sep 17, 2014
  10. NatWheeled

Yeah its a good idea to find out where they stand on the issue before telling them. Parents who aren't accepting can make life difficult.

11. kittygirl

I honestly don't think i have the courage to ask my parents... What if they hate me... :/

12. NatWheeled

Well, you could casually bring it up using a made up scenario....maybe talk about a friend at school....or just a classmate that came out, just to see how they react. Something like....

Parent: how's school?
    You: its OK, found out one of my classmates is gay. People pick on him a lot.
    Parent: ...

13. kittygirl

I guess I could try that... but what if they react negatively? Do I just not tell them??? :/

14. NatWheeled

Because you're a minor, yes if they react badly I'd consider staying in hiding til you move out and no longer rely on them to pay for school etc. I've read stories on this site where parents have gone to some pretty extreme measures to undo being gay, and as a minor you wouldn't have a way out.

Its possible however they might not be that terrible, just disappointed.

15. Blossom85

I think only come out to your parents when you are really ready, it's not something that needs to be rushed. It is scary not knowing how people will react to your coming out, especially family who provide shelter and clothing and food for you.. I think get their views on it first, maybe just causally ask.. If we had a family member come out, would you be supportive of them, just ask hypothetical questions to get an idea on their view. It's always going to be an adjustment for them as well to come to terms with the news that you have given them. I think parents envision their children's futures and most would be getting married to someone of the opposite sex and getting grand kids, so to have something change so drastically.. It will take them time, it doesn't mean they won't be supportive or won't come around.. It just is gonna take time to process, for them to get used to this new potential future for you. I am lucky I know my families views on the LGBT community and they are all okay with it.. I think telling friends is again, another personal thing.. Only you will know when and who to tell.

16. kittygirl

Thank you guys so much. You guys have helped clear away most of my confusion and stress. I did tell my closest friend. We talked about it for about 3 hours and it involved a lot of crying on my part. He took it actually really well, asked many questions. I'm really glad I have someone to talk to about it. I'm going to wait to tell my parents, but I feel like I'm lying to them.