1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my dad....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxemilyxx, Sep 17, 2014.

1. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im so scared i dont know what to do please help..... so im really drunk and i have just text my dad telling him that im gay ? i asked him if he knew, he said he had NO IDEA whatsoever that i am gay ????????? which suprised me because ive never even mentioned a man in my life 24 years.........well i dont know what the point of this post is but im so scared and im scared to wake up sober knowing ive told him i dont know what to do im so scared he made jokes so thats good yes>? he asked me if i was seeing anyone and i said i was seeing a girl from canada and he made a joke as my brothers gf is canadian, but yeah sooooo scared right now :frowning2:

2. Fruit Topping

Oh, drunk texts. Thats a no no. From what you said it sounds like he is fine with it. Maybe hes making jokes to make you feel more comfortable with the situation. Just sleep off your drunkenness and tomorrow have a talk with him.

Good luck

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

First Emily.. Still be proud of yourself for having the courage to come out to your dad sober or not sober. I know how scared you would be! Wow he had no idea.. That's kind of funny! I mean you are 24! And never mentioned a man. :lol: Just take things patiently.. don't think negative or how negative things might happen between your dad and you. He seemed to be pretty accepting no? You will be fine!

Btw.. Who is this girl you speak of?! Did you meet her online?

4. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chloe, thank you soooo much for your reply i really need positivity right now as my heart wont stop racing , my dad said he is really happy i told him and that i better not wake up in the morning and regret telling him as there is nothing to be ashamed of and even though he didnt know, he doesnt care but it did suprise me as i was CERTAIN he would know ? all the signs point to me being gay i may be more feminine but the "gay girl" thing is just stereotype and being ive never talked or dated a man it suprised me that he didnt know ? how?> why didnt he know ? im going to wake up very scared i know it but its one step out of the way, and yeah im met this girl online and we are both so perfect together and have been talking for 3 months now n if it wasnt for her i would never of had the courage to come out so i thank her, shes so perfect for me........and i also met her on here which was never planned it just happened.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming out when you're drunk may not have been how you envisioned it, but there really is no ideal scenario. The important thing is you got it over with and your world didn't crumble around you. It sounds like your dad was very accepting so I think you should wake up elated, not with regret or fear. You finally did it!

As a side note, good call going with a Canadian. We're awesome. :wink:

6. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Aw that's okay! Well your dad sounds great! He says he doesn't care so don't regret it! God be happy you're finally out to him! No more hiding that part of you from someone so important in your life! Yes I understand the feminine/masculine gay girl stereotype but I also understand how you are shocked he didn't suspect. Maybe he just thought due to your anxiety that you were shy of men? I don't know.. Or maybe he is just a bit slow :lol:

I am so happy for you! Is it okay if I ask her name? Not her username just her name :lol:

7. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha, chloe... he is either very slow or he only said he didnt know to make me feel better, i have avoided being alone with him since though and the day after OMG i was having so many panic attacks thought i was going to faint and you know what was more awkward ? we was sitting quiet with everyone in the living room and on comes katy perry - i kissed a girl, lmfao! i felt sooooo awkward i could feel him feel it too i wanted the ground to swallow me typical it had to come on :grin: but thank you! i so needed as much support i could and can get in positivity and im never drinking whiskey again, and her name is Sam.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 01:09 AM ----------

Mbanema, THANK YOU!!!! i remember having a talk with you before about coming out to our parents and i still have mum to go but 1 down xD and yeaaaaaaah canadians are total awesomeness :wink:

8. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats for owning your sexuality man, who cares what your dad thinks. Drunk or not, you are who you are!

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2014 at 08:41 PM ----------

My parents were actually pretty cool with it, I wouldn't worry to much unless they are super conservative.

9. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Bubble! YOU ROCK AND ROLL YO! we got to live for US at the end of the day!

10. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Aw cool! She sounds lovely :slight_smile: I wish you both the best of luck! And yes I can imagine how awkward that would be! Very cringe worthy haha! Still be proud of yourself though! If it didnt happen now it would have happened later. It's like ripping a bandaid off! :slight_smile:

11. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out while drunk, too. Glad it sends to have worked out for you.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! We Canadians are worth it! :grin:

13. One Man Army

Sometimes parents do miss things that are right in front of them, such as their children's sexuality. It's funny really.

Anyway I'm glad your dad took it well and I wish you all the best for the future.