1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling So ready.. Just need advice on how to..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blossom85, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Blossom85

So I have finally decided I am ready to finally let my mum know properly that I am bisexual.. I was thinking just now, that I really want to do this.. We have had conversations previously so I fairly certain she is aware it has been something I have been exploring or at least been thinking about, however.. I have never actually come out and said.. I like guys and girls or the words I am bisexual to her.. It has always kind of been left open to interpretation I guess.. Which is why I want to finally tell her now that I am comfortable with being bisexual.. She has told me in our previous talks that she just wants me to be happy no matter what and she loves me.. But just to get the conversation started..

How do you initiate that talk? Do you just wait for a quiet moment and say "Mum, I am bisexual", or "Mum, I like girls and guys".. Like ripping the bandaid off, or do I say something like.. "Mum, can we talk about something"? Or "Mum, I wanna talk to you about something"? I was sitting with her watching tv and having dinner with her tonight and I have wanted to say something, but I just don't know how to bring it up.. I know it is something I won't start to be able to really have a sigh of relief moment till it's all done and out there, and even though I know her reaction will still most likely be good and positive, it is still a scary prospect.. I guess because it is not just myself and you lovely people on EC I am admitting it too, it becomes more real.. So just looking for some advice on how to go about this.

2. Blossom85

Hmm no one with advice?

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on you. Some people do, in fact, just say it outright that they're bi, but others do ease into it with a "I need to tell you something," and with that, she may even guess it before you get the words out.

I personally came out to my sister by saying that I needed to talk. I got so nervous I couldn't speak, so I told her to guess. She did, and that was it.

You can also come out during a 'regular' conversation, like when you are talking about dating, you can say, "I'm ready/not ready for a boyfriend yet... or girlfriend."

Good luck.

4. Ryujin

I feel more comfortable just outright saying it as talking beforehand gives me more chances to second guess myself and I have stopped coming out before because if that. It depends on what you're more comfortable with. Do you often second guess yourself? Just say it outright without thinking. Do you not? Start the conversation and bring it round to that topic.

5. Guitar123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the way i came out to my parents was really messed up and not meat to happen but heres how i think you should do it. You can ask her to talk with you and then say 'Mum im bi' and quickly get it out there or write it all in a letter and give it to her. That way you dont have to say anything. Hope this helps

6. Blossom85

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been thinking perhaps of writing a bit of a letter just in case I can't get it all out. My gut instinct I think is what you mentioned gm53, ask to speak with her and then just tell her I am bi and see where the conversation goes from there.