1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

talking to a gay friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfy1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    so a week ago i asked you guys if i should try talking to a guy i know who is gay to get insight and advice. after asking and thinking about what you guys have said i decided that i will go ahead and contact him. problem is... im being a chicken $h!t to Facebook him about it. i have thought about contacting him for a month now.. and i just can not being my self to do it. idk why. i know he will listen and help me out, but... idk if im am scared to get advice or something... idk.

i already wrote out what im going to message him with
    "Hey "NAME", i know we haven't talked in a while. i am really confused and struggling with something personal, that i feel i can only talk to you about since i know you have been threw what im going threw. i was wondering if maybe we could get together and talk? please let me know. thanks."

i think that he will get the gist of what im contacting him about. i have even had it put into the private message box a few times, but could not bring my self to send it:eusa_doh:. idk. any thought? lol i know your all going to just say " just send it" lol

2. Kabuki

Hahaha exactly! Just press the send button and let it go. One time because one guy looked at me a lot I felt very anxious because I used to see him everyday. It got to the point I called him "The Stalker". Anyways, one day I found him on facebook and decided to ask him why he looked at me, etc. This happened at 5 something in the morning because I couldn't sleep the night before, so I woke up at that hour and wrote the message. I was scared, a lot! But I just closed my eyes and pressed the button.

So, just find the courage, at least for one second, to press the button to send the message and I'm sure you'll feel anxious at first, but when you see the reply it will make you feel better.

3. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Kabuki! your right, i just need to stop worrying about it and do it because the response will definitely make me feel better about doing it.

BTW, i love your avatar!

4. Kabuki

No problem Wolfy! :grin: I've been through that and I know it's not easy, but like you said you'll definitely feel better.

Thank you! He's my husband :lol: I'm kind of obsessed with that character :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. FrenchKid98

I actually did kinda what you wanna do like a week ago: I contacted the (I think) only openly gay guy in my school (he is in the grade below me) to ask him advices and insights of being openly gay at school.
    As I never really talked to him I was pretty stressed out about just messaging him out of the blue but I did and he answered very nicely.
    How I did it was probably not the best because here's what I did: I came home from Friday night in town with friends and I was "drunkish" (legal drinking age is 16 where I live) and as most people I have a bit less restraints under the influence of alcohol so after hesitating for like 30 seconds I just hit the send button.

But I'm not recommending you get drunk to send that message :lol:
    Here's my advice: If he's generally a nice guy then there's no reason he'll be weird about it and he'll probably answer all your questions like the guy I contacted did. Because he knows how it's like to struggle with sexual orientation it's very unlikely he'll out you and you can always insist he keeps quiet about it. So I'd say do it and see what he answers :slight_smile:

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Through" (as in "I walked through the door") not "threw" (as in "I threw the ball"), but other than that, I would join the chorus and say hit the button. If he is gay, he will know what you want to talk about before he hits the end of the sentence.

7. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks every one for your input. and thank you Yossarian for correcting my spelling... its already hard enough to send it, i dont want to look like a fool with bad spelling lol.

im going to try and send it. ill see how it goes, and hopefully it does not take me another month before i can do it lol.

im going to see my best friend at college here in about a month and i really want to tell him while im there, since he is like my brother. but before i tell anyone i really wanted to talk to the friend i know who is gay so i can feel more at ease and confident about everything. lets just hope i can talk to him before i go to see my friend at college.

8. Kabuki

No problem Wolfy! I hope you can send it and get to talk to this gay friend of yours so that you can tell your best friend with more confidence your sexuality or whatever you wish to say to him.

Good luck man!