1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I be kicked off for being gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThatOne, Sep 20, 2014.

1. ThatOne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I am seriously considering coming out. One thing is stopping me though, if I come out would I be kicked off my hs basketball team? I go to a private school (not religious) in Texas. I'm probably the second best player and will start this year on varsity if I'm on the team. Should I come out to the coach first! Or teachers or the counselor? Idk any help is amazing. Thanks.

2. Really

I'm not sure they could legally kick you off. You might want to check your school's website to see if there is any info on discrimination. Would your parents back you up whatever the case?

There might be the very real possibility of unpleasantness, though. You probably want to weigh the pros and cons quite carefully before a full disclosure. Unfortunately, not everyone is as open minded as they should be.

3. WannaBeMe

You may want to try bringing up the subject and seeing how people react first.

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they do cut you, they will likely get into serious legal trouble. You should try to fight for your right to be free of discrimination if and when it happens though. Bring it to the principal, school board or even local media.

5. Hel

Hel

They may not cut you out but if the coach is homophobic, he will find ways to make your like a nightmare (not letting you play, say hurtful things...) Like others said, you need to think about the pros and cons. Is there another gay student in your school? Did you already came out to your parents? If so, how did they take it? Can you ask them some advices about coming out to your school?

6. Abdadhie

Bring it up around the school. Thats what I've done. I should give you an implication as to wether you'll be accepted. I don't know if they can legally kick you of the team though. Private, religious schools used to be abel to exclude kids for being gay but I'm not 100% sure if the still can. If you are kicked off make a hell of a storm! Good luck mate!

7. ThatOne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't come out to my parents yet, just two friends. I don't think the coach is homophobic because he usually says he doesn't care what we are as long as we produce in a game. To my knowledge there aren't any openly gay kids at my school.thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to get the support of your parents first in my opinion before you come to your team. Just my thoughts...

9. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They can not without serious consequences. Being that they are non-religious I see no reason that they would. Tell your coach if you trust them; I came out to my coach before I came out to most people, and she helped me tremendously. I understand how hard it is to be openly gay on a team, but if you are near the top varsity and have leadership qualities, no one should give you crap. I came out to everyone while a captain, and no one has messed with me concerning it. Actually, my team has been some of the most supportive people in the school. Good Luck!

10. Confused Teen18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I highly doubt they could just kick you off because of your sexual orientation but just to be safe, i would highly recommend that you don't just come out. Bring up the topic awkwardly then see their reaction first

11. MrK21

UUhm yeah if I were you, I don't think you need to tell any body. It is not any of their business. In my case I never told none of my teachers about my sexuality simply because it is none of their concern. You may want to talk to a counselor though. And definitely do not tell none of your teammates because harassment awaits you the minute they find out.