1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out pep-talk?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Sep 21, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So... Due to circumstances I have some control over, but choose not to hide from; I will probably be coming out/be outed in school (and possibly church/to homophobic extended family) real soon.
    And that's fine.. I guess. I'm just kind of scared. Like I want to live my life openly and honestly, and that's why I'm not taking steps to hide my sexuality. But I am scared.
    So what I guess I'm asking for, is like..some sort of pep talk/inspiration, or even a story or advice related to coming out. That'd be real great. Thanks.

2. Queer NOS

It's only natural to be scared in any situation in which you are being "exposed" in any way: you are opening yourself up for criticism, and that is never an easy thing to do. You are doing something rather brave by allowing yourself to come out or to be outed, and your act of bravery may inspire others to do the same.

As Bernard M. Baruch once said: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Those who accept who for who you are are the ones who you need to keep in your life; those who do not accept you are probably not the best people to keep around, anyways.

Best of luck in this experience; I hope that all goes well and that there is an abundance of love and acceptance and all things wonderful. :slight_smile:

3. Really

You sound like you're quite a confident person so I think if you manage not to get defensive and just adopt the attitude/stance that you don't have a problem and anyone who suggests you do is the one who needs help, you will be fine.
    Just remember, your reactions will dictate your situation going forward more than anyone else's actions.
    Best of luck!

4. LittleDrifter

I've only come out to one person, but I'm working toward being out and proud in the general populace. I'll tell you the thoughts that keep me striving for that goal.

Secrets have undue power over their keepers. Hidden truths control what we do, say, think, and how we live. They give power to others, who shouldn't be able to control us with threats of revealing a fact.

When we decide to release a secret, we gain power over ourselves. We become more free and less afraid. A chink in the armor becomes a battle-scar and a testament to strength, rather than a weakness. A closeted orientation is just another secret to let go, so that it and others have less power over one's life. Smash that :***: secret and make it flag to symbolize you!

As Queer NOS said, coming out is a powerful act that will inspire others to do so. The more of us who are out will help bring freedom to others (of any orientation and/or gender expression) to be themselves.

Assuming you like/don't hate Adam Lambert's music, he made a great song called "Aftermath" that I find inspiring.

Good luck. I hope you encounter more acceptance than you anticipate! (*hug*) Get out there and give 'em :***:!

Now after that speech I just need to come out . . . :grin:

5. Dakeli27

It'll be hard, and people will say hurtful, homophobic things, but there'll be those that accept you as you are. Coming out to those people produces a unique kind of euphoria.

6. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's scary as hell but refreshing and liberating. I recommend it with some hesitation depending on how tolerant people around you are. Make sure you have people around you who will defend you and accept who you are regardless. Don't let people manipulate or try to blackmail you either. Say it casually and not like it's something super secret that shouldn't be told, other people can figure out later and ask you about it instead of throwing it in your face.

#6 Celatus, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014