1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Anxiety

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by North, Sep 21, 2014.

1. North

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there! Long time no see...

So I've been pretty busy lately, but whenever I have a free moment, I'm usually thinking about my gender. I'm pretty well decided that I'm transgender, and pretty confident in my general identity, except when it comes to thinking about coming out to my family and friends. That's the only time when I really start doubting myself again. This is starting to get to be a fairly serious issue, as I'm trying to apply for colleges, and not being able to openly let my parents know that I'd rather check my gender as male is starting to cause me a significant amount of dysphoria. Plus, I just feel bad because my best friend knows I'm transgender, as well as my sister, whom I share a room with, but all my parents know is that I'm "questioning." I want to be able to wear the binder I got a few weeks ago, but I also feel uncomfortable when my parents don't know I've come to a conclusion on this.

BUT. Whenever I think about coming out, as stated above, I'm suddenly unsure of my gender identity again. And it's starting to get really depressing, because I think about coming out a lot, so consequently I'm unsure about my gender identity a lot.

Is this really weird? Does anyone have any tips? Am I ever gonna be done with all this unsure-ness?

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Hmm... that's tricky. I had a similar issue... whenever I thought about coming out to my parents I wasn't attracted to guys all of the sudden, I was like "nope nope nope nope"... I'm not sure what to say, because I ended up just saying something out of the blue. I think this is one of the few situations in which it might be good to just say something before you have a chance to think about it, like ripping off a band-aid.