1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Miles D, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Miles D

I mean, at what point to you have to say to yourself "Keeping my secret is hurting me, and I have to tell my parents to get this off my chest."

or at what point do you have to say to yourself "If I told my parents this secret that is hurting me, it would cause them so much more hassle and clutter up their already busy lives, so i mustn't tell them."

i.e. I'm going home for break in two weeks from college... do I tell my parents I'm transgender while they are in the middle of a divorce and having financial troubles, or should I wait and continue to lead a double life? Should I give them a little heads up before I jump off the airplane and proclaim my "alternative lifestyle"?

:bang:
    :help:

[oh and sorry I'm a needy asshole]

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that your parents are going through a divorce. Given the circumstances I think it might be best if you would wait with your coming out to them. I can understand that it is hard for you to keep this from your parents but I think it is important that when you do tell your mom and dad that they listen and are not preoccupied with other things. Often when we are preoccupied with other things, we react in ways that we otherwise would not.

The other thing to consider and to prepare yourself a little bit for the day when you do come out to them, do you have an indication of how your parents might react if you would tell them? Would they be supportive?

If you can, try to wait a little bit.

I hope this helps a bit.

3. silentsound

Honestly, don't force yourself into it. Transgender issues are a little different given, but I think it depends on how comfortable you are with them not knowing. If it's really burning at you or you feel uncomfortable when you are around them having to be a girl, tell them. If you feel ok with being yourself while you are out of their earshot, so to speak, they are going through a lot right now and it's fine if they don't know for a little longer. In the end I think you have to draw your own lines, but when you are ready you just know and you will be able to get past the nerves and take the plunge.

4. Louise

I think if you can hang on a bit while your parents sort themselves out that would be very nice of you but if you can't then your parents will just have to deal with it. Your first worry is to look after yourself, if this is really hurting you then you have a duty to protect yourself, your parents wouldn't want you to suffer more than you have already.

Your parent's problems with the divorce and their financial worries are nothing to do with what you are going through and sometimes parents need a little wake up call from their kids, especially when they are having a hard time, just to say "hey I'm here and I need help, the world doesn't start and end with your divorce" It is difficult to give advice not knowing your parents and how things are between them.

Do you have some siblings that you can talk to who could help you?

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight