1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my religious friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yeety, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think anyone who has had friends to come out to has had the religious friend... how do/did you come out to this person?

2. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've recently gotten back in touch with a very religious friend I once had, out of compassion (she's going through a hell of time personally, and could use a friend at present). I haven't disclosed my bisexuality, but I have mentioned that I accept l,g,b and t folks totally and as they are, and that there's nothing 'wrong' with them being as they are. She was embarrassed about the verbal interaction, but, either out of friendship for me, or something else, she didn't say anything more about it. (She has previously made it clear that she thinks it's against her god's rulebook.) But for now, I'm leaving it, becuase while she is in a tough spot emotionally and benefits from my association, I don't think it's the right time to tell her everything. But I will, when she's back on her feet again.

3. discalcedtierce

I have come out to a couple of religious friends, both of them priests. Being that they are Catholic, I knew going into it that they both believed that having "same-sex attraction" was objectively disordered, but I hoped (correctly) that their friendship with me would allow them to see me at a human being first and that they would remember that I am their friend.

I did get a small bit of a reminder of church doctrine, but it was only one sentence in a 30-45 minute conversation. And frankly, I would have been pissed had they not mentioned it, because that would have meant that they were lying about and/or hiding their convictions, regardless of how much I agree or disagree with them. I do hope that they have a genuine change of heart, but I don't want to be lied to if they haven't had that change of heart yet.

And since I have come out to them, I have not been treated any differently. I think it is harder for them to accept that I'm an agnostic now than the fact that I'm pan, but I have not been treated any way except with love and acknowledgement of my inherent human dignity.

And a couple of years ago, I was that super religious, very closeted religious friend that someone came out to. My reaction was something like, "I'm glad you trusted me with this.... I don't really care who you like. You're still my friend and this doesn't change how I feel about you."

4. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never mind about this recently he has just been a total jerk to me.