1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do straight people shut up when you stand your ground?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BearLover, Sep 22, 2014.

1. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically they are only going to criticize you if you feel insecure about your sexuality, I am bisexual and at first I was insecure about after a while from thinking about it I don't really see anything bad with it, it doesn't really have flaws, and even if it did then I would still think that all sexualities were equal, they all have flaws.

Traditionalists will try to criticize bisexuals but if you think about it, bisexual people are in a better position in life, I can imagine there are flaws to being straight, when you're straight you have to be with women, when you're bi you have a choice.

So when straight people criticize you for not being straight, usually you can give a good argument and shut them up, I can imagine this is true, they may give arguments why being gay is bad for example you can't have children but being straight has it's flaws also, what if you don't want children? What if you don't get on well with women but are attracted to them, what if they are too much hassle for men? Women can be very reliant on guys, a lot of relationships are solely about the women, the women uses the man to buy her stuff, a lot of straight relationships are one sided, it's mostly about women, the women keeps the baby in a divorce, the man works for things, the man has to pay for things, the man does next to everything. What if you don't want that? What if you don't want to be forced into a marriage?

This is why I'm glad to be bisexual, I'm not coming out to people that I don't need to, I can't be asked for their criticizm, people have a problem with the stupidest things.

There are flaws to every sexuality, that's just the way the world works, everything has it's positives and negatives. Surely if you give them that argument, you are more likely to shut them up and they will realize that being straight is equal after all despite how superior they thought it was.

I think that maybe if they are homophobic you have to give it back and be heterophobic to them, being in defense all the time doesn't change anything, if people attack back with rational arguments that make people realize they are just as equal as people they thought they were inferior to them, they will shut up.

My point is that if you don't stand up for yourself and are always in defense of your sexuality you are going to feel quite vulnerable to criticizm, you're going to be worried about what people think, in order to ease this feeling you've got to realize that logically all sexualities are equal, everything has flaws and when you tell the straight people that their sexuality is also flawed you're going to feel more comfortable, I'm not saying go around and be heterophobic, what I'm saying is stand up for yourself, explain that everything is flawed then they will take a step back and actually realize that we're equal and we're not just saying that to make ourselves feel better.

In a way, despite coming out as gay or bi, people are still insecure about their sexuality, they still feel quite vulnerable to criticizm, they are still touchy about their sexuality (no offense), it's a valid issue I'm raising, people should give back heterophobia if they receive homophobia, make the straight people realize that we are actually equal with logical arguments.

Ever since I realized that I'm actually better off being bi, I don't really care about being bi, i'm actually glad to be, and gay people should feel the same, it's actually just as good to be gay as to be straight.

2. Pie

Pie Guest

I feel the same, I'm glad to be gay! I won't ever have to worry about getting a woman pregnant by accident. You make a very good point by saying "to stand up for yourself". Few people criticise people who are self-confident (not only about their sexuality or gender btw). However if you show weaknesses, some people may use these against you.

That's why it's important to accept yourself before you come out; so that you gain self-confidence.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, no. :dry:

I've yelled at people for being homophobic a few things and all they say is, "I was just playing, damn!" and continue to laugh and make fun.

Maybe I'm just not scary enough. Fuck.

In any case, I don't think bisexual people have a choice, either. You can't exactly choose who to develop feelings towards, right?

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, yes they do. To be honest I encounter remarkably little homophobia and when I do it is almost exclusively from people who don't realize I am gay. When that happens I tell them I am and it generally stops. On the other hand I can't say homophobic comments really bother me any more personally--it used to be so much worse than it is now and I guess I always have that perspective in the back of my mind. I still feel like it's important to not let the comments stand--you never know who might be listening and how much more fragile they might be...

5. WannaBeMe

Honestly the homophobic comments do hurt, and sometimes muddle the mind with rage of depression. But really the only time when it bugs when people say "you're gay" is either when you're not out yet or if your straight. For me i'm not out to everyone yet. My family doesn't know but whenever my brother randomly yells "you're gay" because he's mad it bugs me because it makes my parents a little more wary. Otherwise if someone randomly walks up and is like "you're gay" my response will be "yeah, and what's your point." I've never really been made fun of with homophobic comments except for that. But show confidence.

eg) "That's okay one day you and your friends will be working for me and my friends."

Sarcasm with an insult usually shocks them enough to end the argument. I don't know like what was said before, it's all about the confidence.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If a confident person stands their ground, they back off and just take it behind that person's back.

If some kind of weakness is perceived, whatever it may be, they aren't as likely to back off.

That they will take it behind a person's back seems to have occurred more often than not, but that's just what I've seen.