1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I should be *finished* coming out by now...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emmanuella, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

I was posting another thread and it had me thinking....

I finally admitted to myself, afree years of struggling with denial, that I was attracted to women. That was about 3-5 YEARS ago. I veery VERY slowly started coming out to some people. I am now out to my MO. And a handful of (maybe 5 or 6) friends. At this point, I don't know why I'm dragging my feet. It's just making my life far more difficult than it could be. I feel like I'm just a big whimp.

How long after coming out to "yourself" did it take you guys to "finish" coming out to the rest of the world?

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm still not out to everyone in real life yet, "came out to to myself", 3 months ago.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feel bad about it. Coming out can take a long time. I took about 10 years to come out about my gender, then 5 or 6 years to come out about my sexuality. Go at your own pace. (*hug*)

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been trying to come out for over 20 years it is hard and I wish you all the luck

5. Lukke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm going through the exact same process as you. The hardest person to come out to is yourself. It gets easier over time. You just have to stay strong and trust your instincts.

6. Emmanuella

Thanks for the encouragement guys...

I'm thinking of just coming out today on Facebook... for bisexual awareness day.... you know, all at once. Sort of like ripping off a band aid. Not sure if it is a stupid/impulsive idea that I'll later regret though...

7. Blossom85

It's oftentimes a more difficult thing to come out to ourselves first.. You have done the hardest part I think.. Admitting it to yourself.. I have been going through this for about 2 and a half years now since the first time I came to the thought I could possibly like girls and I am only really out to a few people and I am not looking to make any big steps on coming out to the masses before I really am ready to.. It might not be unless I find a girl to date.. So don't feel like you should be at the finish line already, just take Your time.. You will know when you are ready.. I knew the moment I felt fully ready to talk it all out with mum, only she didn't really have a big discussion, just accepted what I said.