1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad troubles

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zanoscar, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Zanoscar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, i was talking about me going to the pool with some of my friends, including this kid i'll call "Kyle"

bit of background, im 15, bi and male

this "Kyle" kid is the guy im in love with, out of the blue, my dad tells me to not let him get too "friendly" with me, and then starts to ask really invasive questions about my sexuality.

now my dad probably thinks im gay and i haven't come out to my parents as bi yet.

what do i do now.

i think everything just went wrong.

help? :help:

(my dad thinks bi people are people who haven't come out as fully gay yet and made snide comments about "Kyle" a couple years back, before i fell for him.)

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should consider that he probably already senses that you are "something" other than hetero, so you should start talking to him about how you feel about Kyle, if you really do want to continue to see him. You will have to decide if it is safe for you to do so. Your dad is probably not going to be happy about your orientation, but it is reality, so at some point he needs to start getting used to it. He might even be relieved to know that you are bi instead of gay, as it will give him some false hope that he can mollify himself with as he gets used to the idea that you are not 100% straight.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just had a look at the posting you made on EC back in July and I'm wondering if your Dad's reaction has made you reconsider his attitude towards LGBT people? You told us then he was accepting, but his comments now seem at odds with this. What do you think?

How do you feel about the idea of your Dad knowing you are not straight? In July you actually seemed to be thinking about coming out, so I'm just wondering if this has unintentionally moved things in that direction?

Your Dad's views about bi people are ignorant. How could he possibly know the mind of a bisexual man/woman? If he knows bi people that well, maybe he should be on EC himself? (don't say that to him though! :grin:)

4. Zanoscar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel confused and pretty angry.

im not sure what to think, but i know that if im coming out to anyone first, it's mum.

5. bi2me

I hope you are able to come out to your mom soon so she will be able to help you come out to your dad (if that's what you decide to do). I know some people's parents are really supportive and others take time to wrap their minds around the idea of non-hetero kids. Other people never come to terms with it.

Some folks on here are out to everyone but their families - I'm not really out to anyone except my husband and 2 friends (one of whom I was intimate with).

Good Luck!

6. Beth01

Out Status:
    All but family
    That's rough, I'm sorry your dad is being like that- would it help to talk with him. Is he homophobic beyond reason?
    If you ever need a friend, I'm here for you.

7. Zanoscar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i wouldn't know :/

i don't think he is homophobic but i don't think he would take having a bi son that well (at the start, he may change)

it may just be me being paranoid but idk...

:icon_sad:

8. ChameleonSoul

I wouldn't be too worried about your dad. It sounds like that he will accept you being bisexual, at least over time. It seems though that you have a stronger relationship with your mother or is at least not as homophobic as your father. It might be a good idea to come out to her first and see if she could help you come out to your father.