1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University and coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BenjiChr, Sep 27, 2014.

1. BenjiChr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. You see, I have just filed for getting my social security number changed (it has been legalized in Denmark to ask for a social security number with an ending which fits the opposite gender of which you were born), so in about six months, I will legally be male, and a few weeks after that, my name will (hopefully) be Benjamin, and then I'll have a better chance of actually passing on a regular day basis.
    I have only come out to a few family members and friends, however. I dress like a guy, and try to pass as often as I can, but everyone knows me by my female name.
    A month ago, I started at the university. Again, everyone knows me by my female name.
    So my question to you is: How and when would you find it most suitable to come out? - We are 90 people in my class, so I'm not quite sure how to go about it. It would be nice for the change to simply happen over night, but I know it's gonna be a process.
    So yeah, I'd like to hear some other ideas and opinions.

Thank you for your time!
    Cheers! :slight_smile:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like you have said, it is going to be a process. So, one of the first things that I would do is email the professors and let them know of your situation, and that you identify as male. You can also include the name that you go by in this email. This way, your professors are in the know about what is going on. From there, you can tell those that you interact with normally. After that, usually things become easier because of it making it's way around.

When telling people in person, I started by telling them the name that I wanted to be called. If they asked why I wanted to be called a male name, I would tell then that I identified as male, and I am in the process of transitioning to male. I had very few problems with people doing it this way. I hope this helps some :slight_smile: