1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

needing help talking to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by young12012, Sep 27, 2014.

1. young12012

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hey i'm a transvestite guy who has been in the closet way to long and i am wanting to come out about it but i am too scared to talk about the subject with my parents any ideas how i could do this? i have told them i am trans before but after i said it the subject was changed and i really want to just lift this weight off my shoulders and come out to everyone as i have come out to a few close friends and they are really supportive but not wanting to be open without my parents consent while i am still living with them in case there not comfortable with it. any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance
    craig :slight_smile:

2. Dakeli27

How were your parents? Did they change the topic because they were uncomfortable with it, or did they not make a big deal out of it?

3. young12012

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my mum just completly dismissed it saying no and changed the subject and i dont really want to come out while i am living at home because i am scared i will get kicked out over it and when i do i also fear my maybe disowned too :frowning2: really wish thins could be easier for me hate being in the closet :frowning2:

4. King

If you genuinely feel that you will get kicked out then don't say anything, but they did not kick you out last time.

Last time they obviously brushed your concerns under the carpet, but its best that you sit them down in a serious way and discuss your feelings if that what you feel is best.

Maybe directing them to helpful websites will help them understand if they are unsure.

5. young12012

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well when i spoke to them earlier about it they didn't even seem as if they wanted to know about it like if i was to come out they would be ashamed of me or something

6. Dakeli27

Sounds like denial to me. If you're seriously worried that they could kick you out, then don't talk about it with them yet.

7. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi young12012

You don't say how old you are, or where in teh world you are, but it does sound like your parents are in denial. If you are young and dependent on your parents I would suggest that you wait until you are older. However, you have set the scene, so that when you do come out 'big time' they will hopefully realise that it is/was not a phase.
    When the time is right I would seriously condsider writing them a letter. You can think about what you want to say and put in details about where to find more information. They probably know nothing about cross dressing and that can be helped by explaining things in writing that they can take their time to digest and hopefully understand.
    But don't rush them!! (*hug*)