1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I ever come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SeriousJack, Sep 27, 2014.

1. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so I'm bisexual and I really want to become a teacher. The thing is most schools aren't very supportive of gay relationships, considering teenagers can be immature at times and knowing their teacher is gay would totally get in the way of the respect a teacher needs from his students and vice versa. If it turns out the love of my life is a women I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but if I ever decide to marry a guy, I would want people to know, and having to hide my marriege so I can have a job seems Impossible, considering I couldn't hide my past relationship for even a week. Also, it sounds so sad having to hide this huge part of my life for the rest of it. I have just finished high school and only recently found out some of my teachers were gay but apparently they weren't allowed to say anything, since I found out through gossip of an ex-student there. So should I ever come out 100% if I ever marry a guy? Do you think it's possible to hide your relationship in the workplace entirely?

#1 SeriousJack, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Tardis2020

I'm 99% sure that if the school did anything to you because of your sexuality they pretty much put a "Please sue me for an insane amount of money" sign on their head and that it would be illegal.

3. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Discrimination towards gay people isn't exactly ilegal where I live and there are plenty of ways to sound like they're fireing me for other reasons.

4. seeking

If you can be fired in your state for being gay...you could always look to a different state that doesn't have that law or you could stay in your state, become a teacher, and if they discriminate you can fight them..maybe even cause a change or a catalyst for change.

The choices are be yourself or hide it...if you choose to be yourself you then choose to stay in your state or move to a state that doesn't allow discrimination.

Sadly there are ways to fire someone because of discrimination...by waiting for them to mess up and then fire them. I think anyone in any state worries about this whether there are laws that allow it or does not allow it.