1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out once to parents, but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayAndProudd, Sep 27, 2014.

1. GayAndProudd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello EC, I came out to my parents at age 12, that was 1 year ago. I'm almost 14, and i'm wondering... they thought it was a phase and they switched the topic immediately, haven't spoken about it since 1 year ago. I just recently got a boyfriend, but I can't like go out to the movies without them knowing. Do you think I should tell them, I don't know what they will say. Thanks for everybody that helps, I really appreciate it! =)

Edit: tell them I have a boyfriend

2. Blossom85

I think you should maybe start of a conversation by saying something like "remember how I told a year ago that I am gay.. Well, I wanted to let you know that I have met someone and I like him a lot and we have decided to date".

Even if they originally thought it was a phase, it might not have helped that there was no further conversation about it.. But I wouldn't come out to them all over again as if it didn't happen the first time.. I would say something like I mentioned above, to acknowledge that you did tell them and then by saying you have met someone and adding I really like him is showing them it's a guy and that you have taken this year to think and still feel the same way.. If you tell them you have a boyfriend, then it might be something they need to think about a little more and they might begin to realize it wasn't or isn't a phase.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why tell them anything except that you are going out to a movie with ____ and let it go at that. If they want to think of it as going on a date versus just going to a movie with a friend, let them make that association without comment, unless they bring up the sexuality question themselves. You already came out to them; nothing more is required unless/until they might want to make an issue out of it.

4. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Yossarian.

You told them a year ago. It will soon become obvious to them. Just say that you are going to the cinema with <friend's name> and leave it at that. Does he come round to your house at all? Just act as you would normally.

5. AJ Bee

No good advice, but you're not alone.. I came out to my parents at 16, then again to my mom at 25.. both times they thought it was a stage and never talked about it again. I'm still working on trying it a 3rd time.. Good luck.