1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents everything went great

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ajsivy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ajsivy

So i came out to my parents they were really supportive and stuff. But my dad then proceeded to email me back (i told them in an email) and say something about not being Open to every one so im known as ****(not sharing my name) not "the gay one" and i just kinda respond with if they cant see past me being gay or the stereotypes i don't want them and they don't deserve to be my friend (i have this kinda Fuck the haters outlook on life being a nerd and a bit overweight i have had many stereotypes put on me and i just don't care) so what do you think should i be very open or just to good friends?

2. Blossom85

Congrats on coming out to your parents first of all..

I think it is totally up to you about how open you wanna be only you can decide that.. Just take your time and just celebrate this little victory of coming out to your parents. :slight_smile:

3. bornthiswaybby

If your age is correct, you're only 14. When I was 14, I was picked on simply for SEEMING gay (and back then, I was nerdy and overweight). I wouldn't have been able to deal with the hate I would have received back then if I were to have outed myself back then, however since you have a "fuck the haters" outlook already, maybe you'll be fine? You will receive ridicule, it's life. Nobody here can tell you whether to come out, all I can say is follow your heart, while thinking logically. It feels amazing to be yourself, but there are consequences, such as not being accepted by some people.

Weigh the pros and cons, because at your age it can be very difficult to be out of the closet. Also, people in your school will mature tremendously within the next few years so also keep that in mind. Their views will be different in a few years. The "haters" may no longer be so hateful :wink:

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Candace

Congrats on coming out to your parents. :grin: I know that they are usually the hardest to come out to.

Just act like you've always been. They're probably realize that you're normal and that all gay people don't follow into one specific category or stereotype :slight_smile: