1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freudian slip

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Manta, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Manta

I may have accidentally outed myself to a coworker yesterday about my sexual preferences.

I work with kids, and when one girl playing Lego Friends (the domestic life version of LEGOs) said "I'm going to give her [the LEGO character] what every girl needs-- a husband!" my coworker jumped on correcting her. She's a huge feminist, so afterwards I walked over so she could vent her frustrations a bit.

At one point I said "I don't even see myself as settling down. Not with a guy anyways," and she gave me a sharp look before saying "Ooh, I hear ya." Thankfully the comment went over the heads of the nearby kids, but now my coworker knows my preferences :eek:

I'm very anxious about coming out at work because it is with children and there are a lot of strong opinions about letting someone who's LGB around kids, let alone transgender. I think this particular coworker is accepting, but what if she later outs me to the others? How do I follow up with this? Do I pretend it never happened?

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Wow, I can see why this would be a worry. I'm disabled, but I worry about things like the neighbors in the apartments and such. Wish I could offer more help.

3. Really

I'm not sure if she thinks back to your conversation, it will be exactly clear what you meant. Could be she's "off" men in general and just figured you are too. Like, they're only good for one thing and you could even get that from a sperm bank so…
    "Amazons unite!" Or something like that.