1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you look at my coming out letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tai, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've made a letter for my parents. My main goal is to come out to them and ask them if I can see a therapist. Can you read over it and tell me if there's anything I need to change or add?

Hey,
    I need to tell you something very important to me, because I can't hold it in for much longer. I've been depending on support from the Internet for the past few months, and K***** and J*****, but it isn't enough. It was hard enough just to tell K***** and J*****. (starred out their names for privacy)

I want to come out to you as possibly a trans-male. Meaning transgender. I have been questioning myself since June, but really, I've always felt different for a long time. I'd like to think it's from you (Mom) making me wear a lot of frilly, girly stuff when I was a baby. But others are sure it's a brain genetics thing. To be transgender means to feel a disconnection from the gender I was assigned at birth, which is female. I hate my body and wish it were a male's. This disconnection is dysphoria. Dysphoria sometimes comes with feeling hatred or disgust for one's own body, but not always. I wish I had a flat chest and slim stomach like a boy, and I hate the fat around my stomach that women have in case of pregnancy. My dysphoria has been getting stronger lately because I'm more aware of myself.

There have been signs since I was young that I might be transgender, but I never thought about being trans, it was always that I thought I was odd and different, and maybe a little tomboyish. When you made me wear those girly skirts and bright pink jackets and clogs, I hated it. When I could finally start wearing pants and androgynous clothing, I was happier but still felt off. I have always felt appreciation when you buy clothes for me, but when they are what a girl would wear, I don’t feel like wearing them. And I've always hated my voice. I might have been more interested in singing if I didn’t have the voice I have right now. When I was 12 or so I started training my voice to be lower because I hated it being so high. I'm not saying, however, that I didn't talk much because of my voice, that was just a factor. Mostly, I was just shy...

More evidence of my being trans is that I enjoyed when I was mistaken as a boy. There was this one time in Mrs. Quinby's class where we had a sub for the rest of the year, due to her maternity leave. It was the first day with our new sub and she called me “Sir” until she realized she thought I was a girl. I corrected her, but I wish I hadn't because it made me really happy when she said that. Transgendered people love being called by their preferred pronouns; in my case, it would be “he/his/him.” A lot of trans people who are always called the wrong pronouns feel like it's a “slap in the face.” I won't go as far to say that I agree with that, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable.

I began questioning myself because I found some attraction to girls during tenth grade. I thought I was bisexual, but now, since I have been observing myself for a while, I think I'm primarily attracted to men and just masculine women. I don't really care about labels on sexuality. My attraction is to males with some female exceptions. But questioning my sexual orientation was what lead me to questioning my gender.

Being transgender brings a lot of challenges... So I'd like to be selfish and ask for your help with dealing with this. I would like to talk to a therapist/counselor to help me figure out if I am truly transgender and make sure I am not mistaken. There is a very small percentage of transgendered people who regret transitioning, but I think it’s because they all got the help they needed to make sure of their gender identity before deciding on transition.

If I find out that I am right about being trans with the therapist, the term called "transitioning" is something that I would have to decide about. It's about trying to pass in public as a boy. There are some parts I know I want to do, including cutting my hair and wearing boy clothes, and I already bind my chest, but there are more serious transitioning steps such as taking testosterone (T) shots which I'm not sure about yet. If you'll allow me to see a therapist, we could talk about it.

Remember that I still have doubts and am not 100% sure about all of it, yet. It's still relatively new to me, and transgender people usually have to wait a few years and observe to be sure of themselves.

I know that you have lots of stuff to deal with right now and that I'm being selfish. But I really want some help and I think a therapist can help me. I can only see one with your permission, though. Please keep my note a secret. I'm not ready to share this with anyone else yet.

Thanks for reading

2. Acm

Acm Guest

It looks pretty good to me. The only part that I might change would be
    just in case she thinks it's an attack on her or something. But you know your mom best so just go with what you think is right. Other than that though, it sounds good to me. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Blossom85

To be honest.. I think that was perfect.. I don't have much knowledge of transgender issues and that was explained in way that I was able to understand very well, so I think if you are after understanding of who you, of what transgender means, that was very well done. I think maybe someone else who in your situation of wanting to transition might be able to guide you any further and clarify if they think what you have is good.. But as someone who never really has any understanding what it meant till I came here and began to learn a little, that is just wonderfully written. You have gotten your point across very well and your feelings as well and I just think it was beautifully written.

4. Really

Hi Tai,

Just a couple of thoughts. I might leave out the first mention of your mom dressing you frilly.

I'd like to think it's from you (Mom) making me wear a lot of frilly, girly stuff when I was a baby. But others are sure it's a brain genetics thing.

I would just say that you've researched and found that it's believed to be part of the brain's makeup. Is it genetic? That means it's in your genes like brown hair or blue eyes - you get it from your parents. Anyway, I think the less they think it's on them, the better.

And then mentioning the surgery and/or hormone stuff. Might be a bit much to take in right away. Just see if you can get the therapy going and then maybe let the therapist help you explain to them more what's involved if things seem to be going in that direction. You've obviously been reading all about this for a while but they haven't so they probably need a chance to absorb the info in manageable pieces which might take more than the five minutes needed to read you letter. ;}

Good luck!

5. Candace

I really enjoyed reading it :slight_smile:. I think that you should indeed take out that section "I'd like to think it's from you (Mom) making me wear a lot of frilly, girly stuff when I was a baby." so that you don't seem like you're blaming her. Otherwise, it's good to go :grin:.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much for your support everyone! It makes me happy. :slight_smile:

I'll take out the part about frilly clothing and possibly the T part, too. Yeah, I wasn't sure if explaining T would be too much or not.

Really: they wouldn't see the genetics part as blame, as I'm adopted, but I agree that genetics was not the right word. Thanks for pointing that out.

7. BenjiChr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's a great, informative letter. I wrote a similar letter to my parents about a year ago, though they didn't take too well to it, but it is definitely a good idea to inform them of what it means to be transgender. And it is good to tell them that you are not one hundred percent sure, and that you hope for their support. I think it's important to tell them that you really are in need of their support, and that you hope that you'll have it. - But overall I think you've done very well with writing that letter - much better than I did, anyways xD
    I sure hope your parents will be open and supportive of what you're currently going through. Good luck!

8. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I like it Tai, and I agree about dropping the "frilly" bit for now. Good Luck, my friend. I really want the best for you. :slight_smile:

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you both! :slight_smile: I plan to give it to them this weekend sometime.

10. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I hope it goes well for you. :slight_smile: Best wishes, my friend. :slight_smile:

11. Blossom85

Good luck to you, I hope it all goes well.

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh God. I waited until night and put the letter on the kitchen table, and awoke to them having read it... My mom is crying outside of my room now. I don't know what to do...

13. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

We're with you, Tai. It'll be okay. (*hug*)

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The letter is absolutely beautiful... Very well-written and full of emotions.

We are here to support you indeed. (*hug*)

15. Ryujin

We're here for you if you need to vent or anything.
    Well done.

16. Xyaz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope your mother will be supportive, once she gets over the initial shock. We're here for you if you need us.

17. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much, you don't know how much it means. Well, we talked it out and they are still pretty ignorant about the subject, but they said they are going to learn about it and support me. Both my mom and I had a breakdown but it's over, we are moving on...

My mom said some transphobic stuff out of ignorance and I told her it was transphobic.
    Also, she told me that being transgender could be just a fad I want to get into... Not true... If I could enjoy and embrace being female I would... But I can't... She doesn't understand.

Those are the only things that bothered me; otherwise, they were super supportive. Their main worry is that I am jumping into things too fast.

Overall, I am relieved.

18. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Well Done, Tai. :slight_smile: i'm sorry she said some hurtful things, but it sounds overall very positive. (*hug*)

19. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, Starfleet. (*hug*)

20. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm glad it seemed to go ok, hopefully as time goes on she will see how serious it is and overcome any transphobia she has