1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to denying mother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alpha78, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys. So I want to come out to my mother as bisexual but she believes that bisexuality doesn't exist. :bang: She knows that I was questioning myself but now that I figured it out, I think I should tell her since I don't have anyone else to talk about it with. She told me that she'll love me no matter what but when I mentioned how I might be bisexual she just said I'm probably confused. What's worse is that I'm only bisexual because I can fall in love with a girl but can't even think about having sex with one, which she will just think that's impossible. Do you guys have any ideas on how to come out as bisexual to someone who believes it's not real?

2. WannaBeMe

Tell her that such a thing exists. Say that you can date either gender. And tell her what your stance is on sexual preference and how you feel towards each gender.

3. flatlander48

I realize that we are talking about your mother and she is probably a fine person who only wants the best for you.

However, my reaction is: How the Hell would she know?? This is almost as bad as the It's A Choice rhetoric. Anyway, this will be an educational process. There are many books and articles about bisexuality. Distinctly, it does exist. Only slightly tongue in cheek, it's like being gay with greatly reduced constraints regarding genitalia.

So, before you can correct your mother, you need to do some homework regarding things to read. Once you get that sorted, give them to your mother...

4. theflyingelf

Out Status:
    A few people
    Try to explain to her that attraction is a spectrum, and you can be anywhere on it (even off of it). You say you never have sexual attraction to girls, that's biromanticism, and romantic attraction is also a spectrum, so you can definitely be biromantic and heterosexual, or biromantic and bisexual with out wanting to act on any sexual desires you may have.

I agree with flatlander, its a good idea to educate yourself so you know what you're talking about, and can say it confidently. Also its nice to understand yourself better, I find :slight_smile:

Good luck!

5. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice! I know there are some websites that educates on bisexuality, so I'll read up on them and then present the info to her. Thanks again! ^_^