1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to (Another) Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prussianblue100, Oct 1, 2014.

1. prussianblue100

It's been about a month after I came out to my first friend, and she was the first person I willingly came out to. My sis really seems to want me to be fully out and to tell people, and I believe I'm ready to tell another galfriend.

I'll just call her SL. So, SL and I have been friends since we were in the second grade. She's been really awesome; even when people had told her how gross I was (I had bad habits back then, like sucking my thumb). We stayed together for all of grade school, then went to different middle schools. Now, we're together again in high school, even when we only have one class together.

I really wanna tell her because she's just been so supportive and I can't imagine it going wrong. She even said during Freshmen Orientation, "I'd love to have a gay friend. They're just so fabulous." (Okay, she may have been talking about a gay guy friend, but just because I'm female doesn't mean I'm not gay.)

Anyways, I have a lot of questions about it. We've never been to each other's houses. Should I invite her over or ask to come over to hers? Should I do it the same way I did with the first friend (I said I liked girls, easier to say and no labels required.) or go for a different approach? Should I have my sister there since she knows? When should I do it? Answers and any other advice would be great!

2. ravenclaw

Out Status:
    All but family
    Because this is like 2 weeks old, i don't even know if this is relevant, but whenever I come out to a friend, I do it as casually as possible. It does take some of the fun out of it but in my experience, they usually say something like " wait, your gay" and I say something like "yeah, have you seen guys lately (or for you girls)" and they go "oh, cool", and then we go on talking about whatever. Again, it's not very dramatic but it's been the safest/most calm way i've found to come out. If you've already told her then how did it go?

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well good luck I hope it goes great for you !!