1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iHeartYouu, Oct 2, 2014.

1. iHeartYouu

I need to come out to my mum. I don't know how. I need to explain to her that sexuality is not a choice, but I don't know how to give an explanation in simple english. I need her to understand that this thing is bugging me and I had been keeping everything to myself. About who I like and who I want to spend my future with. Its depressing me too because when I come home I become a changed person.
    Today my on the bus with my mum she saw a person sitting infront of us reading a newspaper and the headline was a male doctor moslesting another male. And she said that's not normal. I told her that gays are perfectly fine and I tried explaining to her sexuality is not a choice. She insists that its not normal. It made me mad. Now I know its even harder for me to come out. Help?

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi iHeartYouu
    Perhaps you could try saying it is normal, but not the norm. Like being left handed.
    Anyway, to answer your question, I would write a letter. You can take your time, get everything sorted in your mind, get advice from here and then leave it for her. She will be able to read it in her own time and re-read as she needs.
    I would suggest that you are not around when she reads it to stop her making any snap remarks.

#2 doinitagain, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Perhaps you should ask her opinion on a LGBT subject that isn't related to molesting other people? (Cause THAT is not normal)

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello iHeartYouu :slight_smile: !! The only thing I can think of is write down what you want to say and when you get it how you want it you can either give it to her or if it was me I would sit her down and say we need to talk and start out talking about what ever to get things started then work into telling her if u get stuck look at your notes . Just remember the more people you tell the easier it gets . I wish you all the best of luck !! We are here for you so ggood luck and have the best day ever .

5. iHeartYouu

Hey really thank you all for your advices. I can't stress enough how I appreciate it. This is taken off from my previous thread I think it would help.
    So i was talking on the phone and we were talking about where to go after high school. We had a choice to stay one more year to get another cert, or to score well and go to direct college. I told my friends about my plan, and I told them "if she's staying, I'm staying." That she was referring to my crush. After saying that sentence mum said something like "who is she? Was she someone important?" something along that line. I couldnt hear it well as I'm still on the phone. So after putting my phone down she said she wants to talk to me and ask me something so I just came with an excuse like having a stomachache and avoided it. She probably forgot that she wanted to talk to me now, but what if later she remembered and asked me if I'm a lesbian or bisexual or something about this topic?
    She told me that I cant like girls before.

6. BenjiChr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My advice would be to either tell her in person or write her a letter. If she has a tendency to get hot-headed and tends to start talking before you're even done, then the letter is definitely the best option. I wrote my mother a letter because she is exactly like that. She got angry, however, because I did not tell her in person. It can really go both ways. But make sure to explain to her that you cannot help who you love, and that you have not changed. :slight_smile:

7. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Sounds like She's stubborn as a mule. As Jack said, Trying to debate over a molestation case was not the best idea. I'd confront her by asking why homosexuality isn't normal. If she responds by saying it just is, she's a lost cause far as I'm concerned.